Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:33 AM   #1
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68020

iPhone 4S diedů

And I brought it back to life.

I was using the phone put it down and a second later picked it up to check the time.

Pressed the home button, nothing, screen didn't come on. I thought maybe the home button died or something. Pressed the sleep/awake button and still nothing.

Before this happened I was down to 16% battery so thought maybe the battery indicator was off and the battery simply died. Popped the phone on to charge and waited a few minutes for it to come on. Nothing, no charging indicator.

I thought I'd let it charge overnight and see if it turns on in the morning. Morning came, checked the phone, nothing, dead as a Dodo. I decided to try a reboot by pressing both buttons before I rang Apple.

The Apple logo came on and the phone restarted and is working fine atm.

What do you guys think? Hardware fault? Software faut? Gremlins?

Has this happened to anyone else?
itsmemuffins is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:39 AM   #2
iVeBeenDrinkin'
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmemuffins View Post

I was using the phone put it down and a second later picked it up to check the time.

Pressed the home button, nothing, screen didn't come on. I thought maybe the home button died or something. Pressed the sleep/awake button and still nothing.

Before this happened I was down to 16% battery so thought maybe the battery indicator was off and the battery simply died. Popped the phone on to charge and waited a few minutes for it to come on. Nothing, no charging indicator.

I thought I'd let it charge overnight and see if it turns on in the morning. Morning came, checked the phone, nothing, dead as a Dodo. I decided to try a reboot by pressing both buttons before I rang Apple.

I think you're a genius.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Probably just needed time to rest.
Thetonyk123 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Might be gnomes!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:23 AM   #5
FearGhost
macrumors member

I had the exact same problem with my 'release day' iPhone 4s. I took it to the Apple Store and they replaced with a brand new one.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:32 AM   #6
linsam
macrumors regular

This has happened to my 4 as well. It happened twice about 6 months ago, but has not happened since after doing a hard restart both times. All is working smoothly.
linsam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:44 AM   #7
cababah
macrumors 6502a

Check the diagnosic and usage for a "panic" crash file. My first 4s was doing the same thing every now and then (could only revive with a hard reset) and it had those kernel panic logs in the diagnostic folder. Got it replaced instantly at apple store. Supposedly, this is definitely a hardware issue related to the logic board.
cababah is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:47 AM   #8
The General
Banned

Happened to me once. I rebooted the phone and everything was fine. I didn't assume dead battery and try to charge it all night because I don't have time for that. Gotta be able to use my phone.
The General is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:44 PM   #9
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearGhost View Post
I had the exact same problem with my 'release day' iPhone 4s. I took it to the Apple Store and they replaced with a brand new one.
Did they try a hard reset first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linsam View Post
This has happened to my 4 as well. It happened twice about 6 months ago, but has not happened since after doing a hard restart both times. All is working smoothly.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
Check the diagnosic and usage for a "panic" crash file. My first 4s was doing the same thing every now and then (could only revive with a hard reset) and it had those kernel panic logs in the diagnostic folder. Got it replaced instantly at apple store. Supposedly, this is definitely a hardware issue related to the logic board.
First place I looked but there was nothing.
itsmemuffins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:57 PM   #10
rsxmachine
macrumors regular

This happened to my second 4S replacement. Since then I am on my 3rd 4S, but not for that reason.
rsxmachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:40 PM   #11
salacious
macrumors 6502a

this actually happend to me after i downloaded a social networking app.... i tried to figure out how could my iphone possibly crash out of the blue for no reason.. a shiny new 4s that i had for a week, then after 7 hours of downloading this app like you my phone wouldnt turn on even after a full nights charge, found out about reboot and hey presto it was on, not realising it was the app causing this, then again while at work it wouldnt turn on again, so as an IT technician i decided to investigate all changes made, so remembering that app i downloaded i deleted it and what do you know.... my phone hasnt crashed since, not saying this will help you but it could be a problem that has been unnoticed, none the less iv been enjoying my phone crash free and worry free..
salacious is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:05 PM   #12
PaulNY
macrumors member

I had a similar problem today where the phone essentially locked up. It was still 'awake' and would still try and launch apps, but nothing would open, had no wifi, and no cell signal. Holding the power down to reboot didnt work, had to do a hard reset with power and home key. First time it happened to my 4S. I'll chalk it up to a random SW bug, my friends 4S he got last week had a kernal panic after updating to 5.01, so I'm going with SW issue.
PaulNY is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Jason black
macrumors regular

Gennniiuussss...............................
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:16 AM   #14
FearGhost
macrumors member

[QUOTE=itsmemuffins;13871308]Did they try a hard reset first?

Yes, it was the only way to bring the phone back to life. It locked up around 3 times over a weekend before I took it in.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:55 AM   #15
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68020

[QUOTE=FearGhost;13875263]
Quote:
Did they try a hard reset first?

Yes, it was the only way to bring the phone back to life. It locked up around 3 times over a weekend before I took it in.

Cool, thanks.
itsmemuffins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:04 AM   #16
agentphish
macrumors 65816

This shows the importance of quitting your apps in multitasking.

Most of the time if the phone just becomes unresponsive like that, its either because an App crashed or you've run too low on available RAM and the device becomes unresponsive. It has nothing to do with your hardware.

Plugging it in will do nothing but feed it power to stay unresponsive.

Plugging it in and doing a hard reset will force the device to restart and kill whatever bad app-related process created the memory leak that caused the phone to crash, your phone will restart and you're good to go.

If a store is replacing your phone for a software issue like that they're doing you a disservice.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:13 AM   #17
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentphish View Post

Most of the time if the phone just becomes unresponsive like that, its either because an App crashed or you've run too low on available RAM and the device becomes unresponsive. It has nothing to do with your hardware.

Plugging it in and doing a hard reset will force the device to restart and kill whatever bad app-related process created the memory leak that caused the phone to crash, your phone will restart and you're good to go.

If a store is replacing your phone for a software issue like that they're doing you a disservice.
During the 16 months I've owned the 4 this never happened and I never quit apps.
itsmemuffins is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:26 AM   #18
BoxerGT2.5
macrumors 65816

Quote:
During the 16 months I've owned the 4 this never happened and I never quit apps.
+1

I don't think I ever had any hang ups or apps crash on my 4. I can't say that on my 4s. I've had every iPhone since they came out, the 4s is by far the most buggy of them yet.
BoxerGT2.5 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:27 AM   #19
wacky4alanis
macrumors 6502

My iPhone 4s was unresponsive this morning when I took it off my charger. It was fine when I attached it last night. I had to do a hard reset by holding the 2 buttons down for a long time. It seems fine now, but I'm worried I may have a problem. I see mixed thoughts in this thread. Some people say it's an App causing the issue, others say to get a new phone. Any other opinions?
wacky4alanis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:29 AM   #20
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

maybe the phone entered DFU mode?
apollo1444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:31 AM   #21
Pink∆Floyd
Banned

I love the dramatic thread title and your simplistic first sentence

Pink∆Floyd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:45 AM   #22
deanfx4u
macrumors regular

I think it's this

Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:04 PM   #23
bowlerman625
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearGhost View Post
same here!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:57 AM   #24
Kerrbear161
macrumors newbie

I have had my 4s for ~6 months, and at least 4x a month it will either shut down randomly, or restart. If I do not put it on the charger begore bed, it will die even though no apps are running.

I live in an area where it is hard to just exchange a phone. Any ideas on causes? Solutions?

Thanks!
Kerrbear161 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:10 AM   #25
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentphish View Post

The phone should be actively managing RAM by killing apps its multitasking if you need more RAM.

The App Store is policed way to heavily for a software problem not to be Apples fault. However I agree I'd wait until after a restore to before I returned the phone.

However how often should a phone need to be reset?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone