Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:28 AM   #1
dickovski
macrumors regular

Connect external drive to router or to mac?

Which is the better/faster/reliable way to serve my iTunes library from an external hard drive.

1. shared usb drive connected to Airport Extreme

or

2. shared usb drive connected to iMac

Whole network is wireless

Am I right in thinking that 1. will be a longer journey and therefore slower. i.e. router - iMac - router - ATV whereas 2. is just iMac - router -ATV

I have it set up as 2. at the moment and haven't had any problems but would like to share the iTunes library with another mac and 2 Droid phones when the iMac is not running.
dickovski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:00 PM   #2
ragu
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickovski View Post
Which is the better/faster/reliable way to serve my iTunes library from an external hard drive.

1. shared usb drive connected to Airport Extreme

or

2. shared usb drive connected to iMac

Whole network is wireless

Am I right in thinking that 1. will be a longer journey and therefore slower. i.e. router - iMac - router - ATV whereas 2. is just iMac - router -ATV

I have it set up as 2. at the moment and haven't had any problems but would like to share the iTunes library with another mac and 2 Droid phones when the iMac is not running.
I would think that using your IMac means it is always on to stream but if you connected to the airport extreme it would be able to stream without the IMac and others can access it also...
ragu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Alrescha
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickovski View Post
Yes. Option 1 will effectively double the load on your wireless network. If all your are doing is watching a movie, it will still work fine. If there are other things using your wireless network, they might be affected.

A.
Alrescha is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater