Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
We are in the market for a new printer for our home network as our beloved HP LaserJet 1022NW is starting to fulfil it's role as our primary printer at home.

Reason for us to replace the LaserJet 1022NW is simple, the laser toner prices and availability here in Norway is starting to become a problem by itself. Another note is that the software support for Mac OS X Lion is nonexistent, which I'm perfectly okay with considering the warranty went out in 2006 or something, so it's quite dated when it comes to computing electronics and it has been rock solid all this years so no complaints from us there.

But there is one thing that have mad us slightly disappointed by Hewlet Packards customer service on this unit as it's listed under their "Mac OS X Lion supported printers" list we did expect it to actually be supported, but when contacting their customer support we get replied that the LaserJet 102x series of printers have never really been Mac supported at all in the first place? So why on earth do they have it on their list of Mac OS X Lion supported printers in the first place? And why do they have a Mac OS X software, drivers and firmware utility if this series of printers has never been Mac compatible?

But as it's a rather old model, the warranty went out ages ago and have been considering to replace it for a while now anyway we didn't bother with complaining and we actually figured a way to get the Mac OS X Snow Leopard drivers working under Lion but they are working rather fuzzy so it's indeed time for a replacement.

We already own a Canon MP990 running wirelessly on our home network, working perfectly with both Windows7 and Mac OS X Lion but using a inkjet printer as a primary printer doesn't make much sense at it eats ink cartridges for breakfast. And the printing is obviously rather slow compared to a laser printer.

So we basically want to invest in a rock solid laser printer that features perfect Windows and Mac OS X support and compatibility and has to be able to utilise ethernet or wireless for connection to our home network. Printing quality doesn't need to be top notch, we want it to function as a primary printer not eating through toner / ink cartridges like a maniac and have some decent printing speeds and be able to output 25-50 sheets at once without going haywire like many cheaper consumer printers tends to do these days.

Do you have any recommendations?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I have one of the Brother multifunction printers. It plugs into my router/access point, and I can print and scan from my wired Windows desktop as well as wireless Apple portables. Setting it up in both operating systems was very, very simple.

Sgt. Raven

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
SillyCon Valley
I have an Epson Artisan 835 All in One. Since the OSX 10.7.2 update it works great with my Macs including an old G5 Power Mac running 10.5.8 and our Windows machines running either XP or Windows 7. I haven't tried scanning with the Macs, but my daughter has scanned a bunch of pictures to Windows laptop.

Just saw you didn't want an inkjet, so disregard my post.

Last edited:

max pl

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
I have one of the Brother multifunction printers. It plugs into my router/access point, and I can print and scan from my wired Windows desktop as well as wireless Apple portables. Setting it up in both operating systems was very, very simple.

apple portables as in iOS devices?

i ask because brother printers dont support airprint, but if iOS devices still recognize the brother if its wirelessly networked, then i'd love to go with a brother.

right now i'm debating between a brother laser and an HP laser which offers airprint, but is likely less reliable than the brother. if you can confirm that your brother prints to iOS devices i'd surely go brother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.