Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:26 PM   #1
k12g3
macrumors member

iPod Classic & iTunes Match

OK, Quick question.

I have all my music on my iPod Classic which I use as my main music player. I have uploaded all my music to Match. If I delete an album from my computer but keep it in the cloud, will it delete it off my iPod? I know if I delete it off my computer it automatically takes it off my iPod next time I plug it in, but I want to keep my music on my iPod and in the cloud, no physical files on my computer. Thanks for your help!
k12g3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:47 PM   #2
JPM42
macrumors regular

I'm afraid iTunes Match is only compatible with iOS devices (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad), therefore leaving the iPod Classic out.
JPM42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:55 AM   #3
WisdomWolf
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM42 View Post
I'm afraid iTunes Match is only compatible with iOS devices (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad), therefore leaving the iPod Classic out.
Umm, I think you missed the point of his question. He has enabled match on his computer and is wondering how deleting a song on the computer will effect his next sync with his iPod. That song will still technically be in the library now, where prior to match, deleting the song would also remove it from the library. So will it remove the song from the iPod because it snt physically on the PC? Or will it stay on the iPod because it's still in the library?

It's an excellent question. I use my classic in my car so it only gets synced every few weeks. I'll have to try this tomorrow and let you know. I'm also curious to see if it will add a song directly from the cloud to the iPod when it's synced even if it wasn't previously on the iPod.

I noticed an option for smart playlists recently, labeled location. The choices were either on his computer or in iCloud. Should be perfect for testing this.
WisdomWolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:13 AM   #4
mactmaster
macrumors 6502

Music will have to be stored locally in your iTunes library in order to sync to your iPod classic.
mactmaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:43 AM   #5
JPM42
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomWolf View Post
Umm, I think you missed the point of his question. He has enabled match on his computer and is wondering how deleting a song on the computer will effect his next sync with his iPod. That song will still technically be in the library now, where prior to match, deleting the song would also remove it from the library. So will it remove the song from the iPod because it snt physically on the PC? Or will it stay on the iPod because it's still in the library?
Yes, of course, my mistake. Was reading a little too fast!
JPM42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:07 AM   #6
WisdomWolf
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactmaster View Post
Music will have to be stored locally in your iTunes library in order to sync to your iPod classic.
I can confirm this. If you delete it from the computer it will get deleted from the ipod on the next sync.
WisdomWolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services