Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timgman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I have been having intermittent wifi dropping ever since I installed lion. I've tried about every single solution beyond reinstalling and nothing seems to stick. I've tried adding a new network location, changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8, done manual TCP/IP, all kinds of things. Sometime it will go for hours without dropping then it will start, and drop every 5 minutes several times and then it will be stable again for a few more hours.

I noticed it seems to drop mostly when time machine is backing up and sometime when waking from sleep.

Does reinstalling lion make a change in the stability of the wifi connection?

Once connected my speed is super fast if I could only get it to connect and keep it connected.

It's driving me crazy! Please help with any solutions that have worked.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I have been having intermittent wifi dropping ever since I installed lion.

My MacBook Pro came with Leopard and it has been having Wi-Fi dropouts ever since I bought it. In addition, upgrading it to Snow Leopard didn't solve this issue. Any idea how it can be solved? By the way, it can't be updated to Lion, so I can't blame the latest operating system.

talia262

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
CO
I have been having intermittent wifi dropping ever since I installed lion. I've tried about every single solution beyond reinstalling and nothing seems to stick. I've tried adding a new network location, changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8, done manual TCP/IP, all kinds of things. Sometime it will go for hours without dropping then it will start, and drop every 5 minutes several times and then it will be stable again for a few more hours.

I noticed it seems to drop mostly when time machine is backing up and sometime when waking from sleep.

Does reinstalling lion make a change in the stability of the wifi connection?

Once connected my speed is super fast if I could only get it to connect and keep it connected.

It's driving me crazy! Please help with any solutions that have worked.

I am so frustrated also. Ever since I bought Lion, my wifi connection on my iMac drops in and out constantly. I put up with it for some time but I'm sick of it. Does anyone know what to do to fix this. I guess I'll call Apple.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I am so frustrated also. Ever since I bought Lion, my wifi connection on my iMac drops in and out constantly. I put up with it for some time but I'm sick of it. Does anyone know what to do to fix this. I guess I'll call Apple.

None of my three Lion machines exhibit the problem you describe, but one of my Snow Leopard machines does. It's a pity it's an old MacBook Pro and it can't be updated to Lion. Otherwise, perhaps it would fix itself.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland

Mine dropped every single time if I put the computer to sleep during a time machine backup then woke from sleep. Wifi wouldn't connect. For me, this was fixed in 10.7.2.

timgman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Hmm, maybe I need to call Apple and ask them. I'm really wondering if a new install of Lion would do the trick.

617arg

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
I need a solution to this too. My wifi was working fine and then just suddenly stopped connecting. Keep getting a "connection timeout". Very frustrating.

timgman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Hmm, maybe I need to call Apple and ask them. I'm really wondering if a new install of Lion would do the trick.

Well, I tried the reinstall and I thought so far so good. But it was dropped again after being asleep.

So frustrating.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
More of a guess than an answer, but if you have not already done so, unplugging your base station/wifi for a minute or two and then rebooting it may help, and in any event, should not make matters worse.

At this point, it's probably worth a try.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
More of a guess than an answer, but if you have not already done so, unplugging your base station/wifi for a minute or two and then rebooting it may help, and in any event, should not make matters worse.

The problem with that approach is that it will affect other Macs that don't have a Wi-Fi problem. Take me, for instance. I have seven Macs, but only one of them (a first-generation MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard has Wi-Fi dropouts). None of my three Lion machines have the problem. My three Leopard machines (one of which also has Tiger installed) are also unaffected, although my MacBook Pro exhibited the same Wi-Fi dropout problem when it ran Leopard.

In my experience, switching Airport off and on again on the machine itself solves the issue for about two weeks, until it fails again.

talia262

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
CO
None of my three Lion machines exhibit the problem you describe, but one of my Snow Leopard machines does. It's a pity it's an old MacBook Pro and it can't be updated to Lion. Otherwise, perhaps it would fix itself.

hmmmm well every time I run in my Asics, it doesn't rain. I suggest you buy some Asics for yourself. It would be a pity if you got rained on. :roll eyes:

really is this the best reasoning ("I don't have the problem thus it does not exist.") that your mind can summon?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.