Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
In a tech rage that had nothing to do with anything on my computer, I foolishly decided to delete every trace of safari that I could find. I reset safari completely, then I opened up EasyFind to do a search on my whole disk for every file with the term "safari" in it (including invisible files and folders), and then I deleted all of those files. Then I went to apple.com and re-downloaded safari. Overall safari is working fine now except for a couple of weird problems.

1) safari won't stay automatically signed in to websites after I quit safari. When I go back to those sites they show me the sign-in page and make me login to the site all over again.

2) safari no longer remembers any login/password info. So when I go to any of my regular sites the name and password fields are empty. Even after I sign in, quit safari, reopen safari, and return to that same site, it still won't automatically put my name and password into those fields.

3) Youtube's flash video player no longer loads at all, it just shows up as a black square where the video would normally be (no controls are visible or anything). But vimeo and every other flash site that I've been to loads and runs flash perfectly. I've downloaded and installed the latest flash plugin.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Ack!!!

Just because it says Safari doesn't mean Safari put it there :eek:

As I said, it was basically the tech version of road rage. I knew it was a bad idea even while I was in the middle of doing it (which took a few minutes to do completely), but I couldn't stop, I was in a tech rage and safari was my unfortunate innocent victim.

Well thanks guys, I didn't post a follow up because it seemed like this thread never went anywhere in the first place. I'm not sure why it got revived now, but the follow up is that all is fine now. All I had to do was turn on the safari preference for autofill to save "user names and passwords". That solved problem #1 and #2. For the youtube problem I don't remember if I did anything to fix it or not, but youtube's been working fine for a long time now. So all's well. Thanks anyway.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
As I said, it was basically the tech version of road rage. I knew it was a bad idea even while I was in the middle of doing it (which took a few minutes to do completely), but I couldn't stop, I was in a tech rage and safari was my unfortunate innocent victim.

Well thanks guys, I didn't post a follow up because it seemed like this thread never went anywhere in the first place. I'm not sure why it got revived now, but the follow up is that all is fine now. All I had to do was turn on the safari preference for autofill to save "user names and passwords". That solved problem #1 and #2. For the youtube problem I don't remember if I did anything to fix it or not, but youtube's been working fine for a long time now. So all's well. Thanks anyway.

Thats good to hear! I'm actually surprised that it worked so nicely. Thats definitely a benefit of an OS without a registry (I'm looking at you Microsoft! Get rid of the registry please!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.