Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iLounge offers a series of tidbits from its "most reliable source" regarding Apple's product plans for 2012, reporting that the iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Pro will all be receiving redesigns.

- iPad: The source indicates that the iPad 3 is planned to launch in March and that it will be approximately 0.7 mm thicker than the iPad 2 due to the need to incorporate a dual light bar system for the higher-resolution display. The iPad 2 currently checks in 8.8 mm thick, which would make the iPad 3 approximately 8% thicker than the iPad 2 but still substantially thinner than the 13.4 mm original iPad.

iphone5-500x270.jpg

Previous "iPhone 5" mockup based on leaked case designs

- iPhone: iLounge's source claims that the next-generation will not resemble the teardrop "iPhone 5" design that circulated ahead of the iPhone 4S introduction last month. The next iPhone is, however, said to carry a 4-inch display (up from 3.5 inches in the current iPhone) and be 8 mm longer than the current form factor. Apple is said to be targeting a summer launch for the device, which would mark a short interval from the iPhone 4S launch last month.

- MacBook Pro: The source indicates that 2012 will indeed see the launch of a thinner MacBook Pro form factor, barring any last-minute problems. We've been hearing for some time that Apple has been finishing up work on just such a redesign, although the company did sneak in one last minor refresh using the current form factor just last month. Recent reports have claimed that an ultra-thin 15" Mac notebook, whether it be a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, is on target for a March launch with small volumes of components already making their way through the supply chain.

Article Link: March Launch for Slightly Thicker iPad 3? iPhone with 4-Inch Screen in Summer?

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
The iPhone 5 is most likely coming out in the fall. I highly doubt they'll release the 5 so close to the 4S.

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Apple releasing a thicker iteration of a product!!??

Steve, did you hear that!?

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
The iPad could be .7 mm thicker and people would say, "There are Android tablets that are thinner!"

Let me know when those same tablets can run a retina display with the additional time .7mm of battery thickness provides, assuming these rumors are true...

maattp

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
The iPhone 3G was slightly thicker than the iPhone. This wouldn't be the first time. I think customers won't mind (or notice) 0.7mm when the screen is retina quality.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
- iPhone: iLounge's source claims that the next-generation will not resemble the teardrop "iPhone 5" design that circulated ahead of the iPhone 4S introduction last month. The next iPhone is, however, said to carry a 4-inch display (up from 3.5 inches in the current iPhone) and be 8 mm longer than the current form factor. Apple is said to be targeting a summer launch for the device, which would mark a short interval from the iPhone 4S launch last month.

The calm was nice while it lasted, but I guess it's about time this started up again.

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
B.s.

I call BS on the iPhone. 4G chips won't be available in time for a summer launch. Also they pushed the release back to fall for a reason. It's taking the place of the iPod event. No more WWDC iPhone launches.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The iPhone 5 MAY have a summer release date now, but there will be "problems" that will push it to Fall 2012.

Remember this. This is what will be said when Summer gets here. smh.

Analysts...:rolleyes:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I just can't imagine Apple going the other way in terms of thickness. It's just absolutely against their philosophy, no matter how magical the technology may be.

Now that the Amazon Fire is out, I'd like to think Apple will strive even harder to get the weight of the iPad as low as they can go. I'd really like to see a 1 lb iPad.

thejd

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
I would say these are all pretty credible. I doubt anyone will object or notice a fractional increase in depth to the iPad. Personally, I don't like the teardrop design and don't see it as something Apple would produce. I'm kind of undecided about the MacBook Pro redesign. Assuming the loss of the optical drive in the next generation, how thin can they make it while retaining the power with a hard drive, ram and the plethora of ports it will be sure to have?

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Keep hearing about the iPad 3 "higher resolution display" but will it be 2x?

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Really hoping for a 15 inch MBA soon... my current MBP has had so many issues with the superdrive failing over the past few years... :(

But I thought Apples were super high quality and lasted forever, and that's why they were so expensive? :confused:

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I would be buying an iPhone 6 no matter what, but that is kinda messed up releasing an iPhone so quickly after the 4S launch. Apple is having a hard time keeping up with the 4S launch as it is.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
As always, I'll take this with a grain of salt ;)

That being said, I wonder what would happen if Apple did release a thicker iPad? Even though it would seem to be a step backward in terms of design, I would personally be ok with it if we got a significantly improved display and (maybe) 4G connectivity. But, I do hope they can find a way to keep the weight down if they go this route. The original iPad was just a bit too heavy IMO.

As far as the next iPhone goes, I doubt we will see it before fall. Releasing it in the summer would cannibalize 4S sales and piss a lot of people off. Apple doesn't really have any incentive to do that.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I would be buying an iPhone 6 no matter what, but that is kinda messed up releasing an iPhone so quickly after the 4S launch. Apple is having a hard time keeping up with the 4S launch as it is.

They released the 4S 8 months after the 4 hit Verizon. If they were to get back on the June/July release schedule for iPhone next year that would put the cycle on that at 8/9 months.

In a world with 2 & 3 year wireless contracts, 3-4 months isn't that big of a deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.