Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:53 PM   #1
SuperMiguel
macrumors 6502

STR-K790 speaker upgrade

Hello i have an STR-K790 amp connected to an apple airport express atm i have the original front, center and subwofer speakers connected to it.. it sounds ok but not great.. i want to upgrade the speakers on it but dont want to spend alot of money.. which speakers should i buy???

This setup will be extrictly for music

Amp Specs:

Stereo mode (rated): 6 ohms 85W

Surround mode 6 ohms RMS front/center/sorround: 133W

Last edited by SuperMiguel; Nov 18, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
SuperMiguel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:33 PM   #2
DustinT
macrumors 68000

The amplifier in that system is designed for the speakers it came with. It is not designed as a general purpose amplifier that you can connect a different set of speakers too. You can *probably* get away with a smallish set of stereo speakers but without matching the impedance you may cause the amplifier to switch into protection mode if you raise the volume.

What I'm getting at is this, you might be able to find a compatible set of speakers. Maybe. All in all, I'd rather see you get a new amp and a decent set of speakers. Or, just grab a set of multimedia speakers designed for a computer. For about $100 you can grab a 2.1 set of Logitech's that are THX rated and will rock pretty hard. If you've got a little more money to spend check Klipsch or M-Audio. Stay away from anything that says Bose on the box, it's 'probably not worth the price.

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 02:23 AM   #3
nightwalker1977
macrumors newbie

Talking well...

excuse me for disagreeing with the above post but it's not entirely correct. In fact, it's not all that correct period. The ONLY requirement for that model of amplifier/tuner is that the speakers connected are between 6 ohm and 16 ohm impedance. I verified this on numerous occasions, even using it to test various used car speakers I picked up or gleaned from a junk car.

Point being, keep within those impedance boundaries, keep it well ventilated and it'll do fine on all functions.
nightwalker1977 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 06:38 AM   #4
jcschlic
macrumors regular

Check out the speakers at Parts Express. Low price and decent quality. Lots of good reviews on Dayton speakers. http://www.parts-express.com/
jcschlic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater