Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meady100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Ok guys, I'm literally tearing my hair out now. It seems like I have found a way to create a password bug in OSX Lion. Try the following:

• Go to System Preferences > Sharing
• Select a folder of your choice to share
• Click + User
• Click New Person then type a user name, ie 'milkman' then password ie 'bottle' > create account. Double click to add account to share
• Click 'options' button. Try to tick the newly made account. The prompt asks for the password - the password just specified does not work!!

What the?!

Someone please save my sanity?!?!

Steve

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Im not near my mac right now but are you sure it is asking for the password of the account you just created and not the password of the account you are on?

meady100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Im not near my mac right now but are you sure it is asking for the password of the account you just created and not the password of the account you are on?

Thanks, but yep - I've tried that too! Even stranger is the fact that if you go back to the 'user and groups' section and change the password to another then return to sharing > options, the new password will not work either. Yet if you start from scratch and create a new user from the user and groups section directly (rather than through the mini dialogue box in the sharing section) everything works as expected! *confused!*

meady100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
That's not how you create new accounts. You're adding authorization for an account that doesn't exist, hence your problem.

That would make sense! But why does following my method appear to create a perfectly legitimate new user account in the 'users and groups' section? Seems really odd to me if that is normal? I also fail to see what the button 'New Person' would be for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.