Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old May 20, 2005, 03:17 PM   #1
Loft
macrumors newbie

Application quitting all the time

Well eversince I installed Tiger 10.4.1, my application like Safari, VLC and YM quit by themselves all the time. I've seen it personally a few times but last night, i fell asleep while watching a movie, when i woke up all my applications, safari, ym, vlc etc quit on me. Is this just a glitch or is there a major problem? BTW, I have a 12" PB. Thanks
Loft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 03:21 PM   #2
eva01
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
do you send the report to apple or no? if you don't then nothing will ever be fixed.

other than that i have not had that problem
Old May 20, 2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Loft
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva01
do you send the report to apple or no? if you don't then nothing will ever be fixed.

other than that i have not had that problem
Well, I just reported it to apple. The programs just keep on crashing.
Loft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 03:59 PM   #4
FadeToBlack
macrumors 68000

The only app I've had quit on me since installing Tiger is Safari. The same website crashes it. I'd say it'll be fixed in the 10.4.2 update.
FadeToBlack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 04:02 PM   #5
Lacero
macrumors 601

All of Apple's apps in Tiger have been extremely solid for me. Not a since crash yet. I can't say the same for VLC, which needs an update pronto!
Lacero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 05:17 PM   #6
Sweetfeld28
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Sweetfeld28
not related to Tiger, but Safari unexpectedly quits every time i try to open it on my old G3 MT (running OS X 10.2.8). I have even tried downloading it and reinstalling it, but i get the same thing. So, i just gave up and switched to mozilla.

hey LOFT, did you do a clean install or upgrade?
Old May 31, 2005, 11:40 AM   #7
robnic
macrumors newbie

I have the same problems, and a few more to boot. After attempting a clean reinstall, and removing my third-party RAM, all of Tiger's apps work fine. However, when I reinstalled my extra RAM, Safari, Firefox, Mail, certain Dashboard widgets and every other online program crashed. Thus, at least in my case, I believe it may be an incompatibility issue with third-party RAM. For now, I am forced to run 10.4.1 with the factory-installed 256MB, and it is a painfully slow process. As it is not really their fault or problem, Apple, of course, won't address this issue. My memory vendor, Crucial, only wants to swap out the chip for a new one. Hopefully this works.

Hope this helps your issue.
robnic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 12:06 PM   #8
feif
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to feif
safari keeps crashing on me too.
feif is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 12:10 PM   #9
James Philp

As with a lot of problems try this if you haven't already:
1. Trash the preferences for the problem app(s)
2. Repair permissions and try again.
James Philp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 01:07 PM   #10
Mitthrawnuruodo

Safari crashes regularly (once or twice a day). It only happens upon closing a tab, and it doesn't matter if I close it by using cmd-W or the X-button... Of course I close hundreds of tabs each day, so the error percentage is quite small, but still annoying...
Old Jun 3, 2005, 09:07 PM   #11
robnic
macrumors newbie

Follow-Up

In follow-up to my earlier post, it seems that there is an issue of incompatibility between Tiger 10.4.1 (and perhaps 10.4) and third-party RAM. I just installed another third-party chip and ran into the same problems, that is, random system and program crashes. Indeed, I twice crashed upon start-up. That said, it looks like I need to shell out the extra cash for Apple-certified RAM. I suppose this is what happens when one is thrifty.
robnic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:07 AM   #12
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

I have been extensively using safari some days now, and no problems appeared whatsoever. Why everyone have problems?

You didn't mention if you did just an upgrade to your computer or did a clen install of the OS from the start.
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X