Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1
mooseface
macrumors member

Setting up wireless speaker system

I want to set up a wireless speaker system for my flat. That is, I want to be able to see my entire iTunes library on my iPad or iPhone, pick a song and then have it play through a speaker. I also don't want to need my mac running to do this.

I've looked at a few solutions but seem to be getting a little confused so any help would be much appreciated.
mooseface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Mr. Mellow
macrumors newbie

My iPhone is my stereo system, using AirPlay (built into the OS) and an AirPort Express, and a Creative self-powered speaker system. Once I configured the AirPort Express, I then did not need my MacBook Air to be running. My speaker set has a nice subwoofer and multiple tweeters (wired). There are better brands, but I'm happy with the way mine fills the room with a nice fidelity range. It also responds well to EQ settings, but sounds perfectly nice at flat EQ (the subwoofer "woofs" pretty well).

As for seeing your iTunes library with your Mac not running, I'm afraid you're limited to what has been synced with your iPad (the iPad's library). If your entire library is on your iPad, then great.

A note about AirTunes. Once you turn it on in iTunes on your device, every sound your device makes will go to the speakers. Some apps directly support AirTunes, but it seems like my iPhone 4 just pipes everything to it - even game soundtracks and alert sounds.
Mr. Mellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:10 PM   #3
mooseface
macrumors member

Thanks for the info!

Is there any way of having a duplicate iTunes folder on a HDD which is somehow linked to the speakers, via an airport extreme? Unfortunately I have too much music to have it all synced.
mooseface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Omne666
macrumors 6502a

Actually...not entirely correct.

I have an iPad sitting on a pair of B&O speakers, with the iPad on the Home Sharing network. It does tap my entire library in iTunes on my iMac.

Any other speakers connected via airport express will be available.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater