Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekud300

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Have two boys 12 and 13, their friends are split as to who has a PS3 and an XBOX, they like games on both systems and we do have a PS2 as of present with quite a few PS1 games left over. I know the 1 games won't play on the 3, but it looks like the 2 games will. Regardless, I will keep the PS2 for them

Which leads me to personally lean towards Xbox due to being less of a fan of Sony than Microsoft. Also from what i can tell is there have been problems with the PS3 online gaming?

Researching for Xmas gift for them and I am clueless about the new gaming systems. I have no problem doing my own research, just get others opinions to what and what not to look for.

And NO, I will not get a system for each one of them if someone decides to think that. Would I love to, yes, but not happening.

Thanks for any input

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Actually I think the ps2 games will only play on older ps3 models. Might want to check that out.

But to answer your question, I am a teacher and talk to kids sometimes about video games. Almost all of them regret having a ps3 and wish they had an Xbox.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If online gameplay is what you expect they'll be doing more of, the XBox is the better system for that. Far more players and games available. Plus it's an easier interface to use.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Only the old PS3's can play PS2 games.

Personally I avoided Sony products like the plague since every one of my old Sony devices broke early into their lives. In 2007 I got a PSP, and just a few months ago I bought a PS3. I've had an Xbox since 2008 but I don't play it much.

Why?
PS3- It's the exclusives for me. Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, God of War, Outland, 3D Dot Heroes, Shadow of the Colossus, PixelJunk and Uncharted. Plus the multiconsole games I like are better on the PS3 because they fit on one disc or have higher quality video. You can play PS1 discs and download the popular ones too. It's also a great bluray player and has an iPlayer app.
Friend management could be better. And I love how the store has prices of products in real currencies! No buying blocks of points like the Wii or Xbox.

Xbox- I'm never going to pay to play online. I've never had to for any of my other systems. To me, buying an Xbox is just a way for Microsoft to sell you more things. Online play, rechargeable kits for controllers, wifi adapter (with the old model), they only just recently let you use USB pen drives for storage, the first page on the menu is nothing but adverts.
I don't like that.
Bought Rockband 2 and a couple of other games, now it just gets used for RB parties around New Years and some XBLA exclusives like R-Type and Geometry Wars.

Always, always always ALWAYS get the system with the exclusives you want. Or in your case what your kids want.

I know the 1 games won't play on the 3, but it looks like the 2 games will.
It will :) it'll play discs and there are some games for download on PSN. That's where I got copies of FF5-9, Jumping Flash and a few other classics.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I (will) have both, plus the Wii.

Only older version of the PS3 will be able to play PS2 games. The current slim PS3 won't play PS2 games. Basically, look for the fatty 60GB PS3 which will play PS2 games. As a rule of thumb, if the PS3 has 4 USB ports, it should play PS2 games. Obviously it won't play PS1 games at all.

Since your kids are the perfect gaming age, online gaming is going to be pretty big for them. The game selection is pretty even for both systems however each has games specific to each system. The most popular games will be generally be available for both systems.

Online gaming is free on the PS3 and $60/year on the XBOX360. I already have enough monthly fees so I refuse to pay for the ability to play online with the 360. The Playstation Network was hacked a couple months ago if that's what you were referring to. Lots of people had some personal info exposed however I'm sure it's safe now...or so Sony says :rolleyes:

The PS3 also doubles as a Blu-Ray player so you'd have the ability to play Blu-Rays as well. Other than that, choice is up to you. Since online gaming will probably mean a lot to your kids and, if you're cool with paying for it, the XBOX360 is probably the best choice.

To me the XBOX360 is purely a gaming system for the most part whereas the PS3 is a family entertainment system...games for the kiddies and Blu-Ray player for the adults.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Placing traditional gaming aside, and noting I have no experience with the PS3, the XBox 360 is capable of many things including Netflix, Hulu, downloadable game demos and easy add ons, promotional events as well as the Kinect which if you have children or even a grandma is so much fun it's ridiculous.

I never claimed I could write good reviews.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I (will) have both, plus the Wii.

Only older version of the PS3 will be able to play PS2 games. The current slim PS3 won't play PS2 games. Basically, look for the fatty 60GB PS3 which will play PS2 games. As a rule of thumb, if the PS3 has 4 USB ports, it should play PS2 games. Obviously it won't play PS1 games at all.
http://community.us.playstation.com/message/247375

The PS3 plays PS1 games, disc and download.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
Personally, I think the only thing PS3 has it going for them is the built-in Blu-Ray player. If they're going to be playing online a lot, I would recommend the Xbox, especially since the new ones have built-in Wi-Fi. And a plus, the Kinect seems more promising.

P.S. - I love how much thought you are putting in for getting a present for your sons.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
PS3's online gameplay is free. Xbox's costs money. That was the deal breaker for me.

Both systems can do streaming such as Netflix or Hulu. Not sure if xbox has a web browser, but PS3 does. And it has blu-ray playback. You can also upgrade the PS3's hard drive with a regular laptop hard drive, whereas xbox requires a proprietary drive. And the PS3 controllers are rechargeable via usb, while xbox you have to deal with battery packs.

Personally I think xbox's UI is a bit clunky, and I hate the controllers. PS3 is the way to go in that regard, and they have some of the best exclusive titles. God of War, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, SOCOM and little big planet come to mind.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
For me, it was xbox.

But then again, whatever console you have most invested into, you're likely to purchase the next version.

PS3 online gameplay is free, xbox costs money. But, the xbox's one is also bigger and better. "You get what you pay for".

PS3 has better exclusives.

I prefer the xbox controller - the PS3 one feels cheap and plastic-y.

The recharging battery pack isn't that big of a deal for me - just buy a pack of 8 AA batteries and a charger, and you basically get a rechargeable pack.

Both have WiFi built in (Now). PS3 has bluray, point moot if you already have a bluray player.

Your choice in the end. Why not ask the kids what they want? :confused:. If they're divided, tell 'em to take it outside and duke it out :p

rekud300

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Thanks for all the input

Alot of useful info given so far and much appreciated. At times you don't realize how much more there is to a gaming system than the games themselves.

As far as my situation, have blu-ray, paying for online gaming, rather not, but then again seeing how it is not a lot of money, maybe time to start an allowance with chores and have the two of them combined pay for half. If both their chores aren't done to earn allowance, no playing games. Start teaching them financial responsibility now and that they need to work together.

As stated earlier, overall don't care what carryover games the PS3 can play as we would keep that system until it goes and these would be hooked up to (2) different TV's.

Firebox, in the end, we will probably ask them which one, but I want to know the basic capabilities of each system and will probably ask them why they are picking what they pick and I can use all the info I gathered here to help answer their questions.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
In my opinion the PS3 is better because it can play BluRay discs.
Sony is releasing firmware updates for new features every once in a while.

The other thing will be 3D games. Nor sure about it, but I believe the PS3 might be better with them.
The Move controllers and the camera work quite nice, however some people say that the Microsoft way without controllers is nicer.

Why not asking them what they prefer to have?

Maybe they tell you that they want something way different, like a couple of iPod touches with an Apple TV.

By the way, for my 14th Birthday I wanted a BB gun, and my father instead gave me a BASIC programming book. I was really mad at that time, but it turned out to be one of the best gifts I ever received from my Father = the lesson.
Took me several years to realize it, and I will never forget that.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Another thing is that PS3 games themselves come on Blu-ray. There are two major advantages to this:
  1. Blu-Rays are quite a bit more durable than DVDs, thanks to a scratch resistant coating.
  2. Because Blu-Rays can hold a lot more data, some of the games available on both platforms need several discs for the Xbox 360, yet only one for the PS3.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
If I could only have one it would be the PS3 due to the free online play. The 360 does have a larger online community but it has been my experience that it is also a more immature online community. My online gaming has been much more enjoyable on the PS3. I haven't bought anything for my 360 in a long long time other than Forza. Free online and not needing to pay for Netflix access is two reasons why my PS3 gets a ton more use.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
I'm a teenager so you can treat my word on this as gold. ;) :p Xbox live is better than PSN. Period. However, the PS3 has better processing power/graphics etc than the Xbox.

The tipping point for me is Kinect. It is truly awesome. Not saying buy Kinect now as well. But you may choose to further down the line; I don't know. Or some friends might bring various bits of their Xbox round to play together-it's great fun. :)

I once looked up all the specs and could quote them pretty well, but recognise now that it's not massively relevant. Because you buy different games for Xbox and PS3s. The Xbox version won't run on the PS3. The PS3's got a faster processor if I recall, but the Xbox has a dual core one. So it's by no means clear cut.

It's also worth mentioning PSP/Vita link up with the PS3 and the PS3 plays blu ray. But I never found either of those useful. None of my friends who had PS3s had a PSP too. And they had separate blu ray players (curtesy of their parents not realising the PS3 could play blu rays. rofl).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I saw the Kinect in action and it is impressive. Plus, the kids will get some exercise instead of sitting all day.

The Wii's been doing that for years but it doesn't really help much.
There also aren't many games that are Kinect enabled, plus the requirements are pretty tight - you need so much space infront of the unit, there is input lag, no feedback, can only register two players. I believe it's quite limited and serves more as a proof-of-concept than viable alternative to using controllers.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Xbox, purely for the online. XBL might charge but it blows PSN out of the water.

I like my racing games and it's rather telling that the lads on on league website I access use XBL party chat to communicate while playing GT5 on the PS3 because "It just works".

Kinect is seriously impressive as well.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Although this is a bit superficial, I think you should try out the same game at some place like Best Buy on both consoles- see which controller you like best. You never know, you could hate one (personally I am very uncomfortable with the PS3 controller) and that alone could choose the system for you.

Personally, I'd pick up a 4GB Xbox 360 slim on the cheap (bought one on eBay for my brother 6 months ago for $135 used) and buy a PS4/Xbox 720 (or whatever they're called) in a few years.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
The Wii's been doing that for years but it doesn't really help much.
There also aren't many games that are Kinect enabled, plus the requirements are pretty tight - you need so much space infront of the unit, there is input lag, no feedback, can only register two players. I believe it's quite limited and serves more as a proof-of-concept than viable alternative to using controllers.

I have 8 feet between the sensor and the wall. We don't have any issues.

OP recommend having the kids do a pros and cons list.

At 12/13 the wii is out.

We have 4 Xbox 360, 2 wiis, 2 ps3. Xbox by far is the platform of choice. The ps3 serve as a bluray player.

Brand names aside, it comes down to which platform exclusive games the kids like and which friends the want to play against.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i've owned every gaming system since the 90's. i've owned the original ps3 while going through 3 xbox 360's in the same amount of time. i'm also against microsoft charging for xbox live. in the end it really ends up which system your friends play on and which games you prefer that are exclusive to each system.

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
I would say get them an Xbox. I like your idea of making them pay for online gaming through chores.

We have 4 Xbox 360, 2 wiis, 2 ps3. Xbox by far is the platform of choice. The ps3 serve as a bluray player.

Why so many consoles?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.