Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sedgeman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Anyone else get almost a click noise when you push the back of the Iphone 4s?

It feels like you push the glass in slightly then it pings back to shape?

Annoying?!?!?!

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Try pushing in the middle at the bottom on the back of the phone - does it bow in slightly then ping back and make a noise?

The bigger concern is why are you pushing the bottom of the iPhone in. Is this a feature?

Next we'll here how the glass cracked and how stupid Apple is for making a glass phone you can't apply pressure to on the back.

Maybe that "ping" you here is a warning you are going to far.

Last edited:

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Nope. There's really nothing to push it to or against. Its just sitting on top like it should be, perfectly still. Distance from middle of phone is exactly similar to front/back height edge. Pressing on it like a sandwich doesn't make it any move, or get smaller or anything. Maybe there's something wrong with yours? I'm not sure by "back" though. Do you mean the glass? or beneath the glass? Though, I don't have this issue with my iPhone4S (or any other issue, thankfully) the camera area makes a rattling sound. That might be you are hearing.

MsvSpaz

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
I had a similar issue on my last iPhone 4 and the genius said it was just the battery tag and they replaced it as the home button was also playing up.

bmwtech113

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
Knoxville, TN
My iPhone 4s is making the same exact noise. I first noticed it when I was typing. When I would press to type, the pressure from my hand holding the phone would press against the back and cause the noise. Then I narrowed it down to the back. I took it to the genius bar and of course the noise wasn't there when the genius looked at it. He just removed and reinstalled the back. The noise is still there and I am going to go back to the genius bar and hope for better results.

sedgeman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
My iPhone 4s is making the same exact noise. I first noticed it when I was typing. When I would press to type, the pressure from my hand holding the phone would press against the back and cause the noise. Then I narrowed it down to the back. I took it to the genius bar and of course the noise wasn't there when the genius looked at it. He just removed and reinstalled the back. The noise is still there and I am going to go back to the genius bar and hope for better results.

That exactly the same noise i have - Really annoying me

I think i'll take it back - but like you said it probably won't be making the noise when i do take it back

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Bump! I've noticed my iPHone 4S doing this also. Even the slightest application of pressure on the back, and I feel a click. I can reproduce 100% of the time. I try to ignore it, but I can feel/hear the click sometimes simply just handling (picking up the phone, for example, or typing) the phone.

Already scheduled a genius appointment.

:T

cedunn21

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2011
My 4S does this as well! Anyone know if they Apple Store will repair/replace free of charge? I'm certain I didn't cause this to happen..

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
My 4S does this as well! Anyone know if they Apple Store will repair/replace free of charge? I'm certain I didn't cause this to happen..

is the phone not working because of this click? if no, why would they?

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Sounds like the old joke...

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Well, stop doing that."

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
I have it too, it seems to be there when the phone is warm. The click sound can be loud, and it's there when you shuts hold it.

I think it's a laminated layer that's loose somehow and it doesn't bother me much, I removed the back once to look, couldn't find anything. If it starts to annoy me I'll just replace the back myself.

So, you're not crazy, and if you don't have this problem, well, good for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.