Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:26 PM   #1
mynameismatt89
macrumors 6502

error 2001, 2006

Hey everyone,
I woke up this morning to find that my new iPhone 4s is no longer working. I've spent all day trying to fix it and have now been able to get it turned on, but it's stuck at the 'connect to iTunes' image.
When I try to restore it, I keep getting errors; either code 2001 or 2006.
Has anyone encountered this problem and know how to fix it?

I've tried it on a different computer, tried different USB cable, reset computer, reinstall iTunes, reset SMC, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
1GB (2G) iPod Shuffle
(4G) iBook
mynameismatt89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:12 PM   #2
JunkyDog
macrumors 6502

Error 2000-2009 (2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009, and so on): If you experience this issue on a Mac, disconnect third-party devices, hubs, spare cables, displays, reset the SMC, and then try to restore. If you are using a Windows computer, remove all USB devices and spare cables other than your keyboard, mouse, and the device, restart the computer, and try to restore. If that does not resolve the issue, try the USB issue-resolution steps and articles listed for Error 1604 above. If the issue persists, it may be related to conflicting security software.

Error 1604: This error is often related to USB timing. Try changing USB ports, uninstalling and reinstalling USB ports, and other available USB troubleshooting steps (troubleshooting USB connections, device not recognized properly, computer won't recognize a FireWire or USB device). If you are using a dock, bypass it and connect directly to the white Apple USB dock connector cable. If the issue persists on a known-good computer, the device may need service.

If the issue is not resolved by USB isolation troubleshooting, and another computer is not available, try these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Connect the device to iTunes, confirm that the device is in Recovery Mode. If it's not in Recovery Mode, put it into Recovery Mode.
2. Restore and wait for error 1604.
3. When prompted, click OK.
4. Close and reopen iTunes while iPhone remains connected.
5. iPhone should now be recognized in Recovery Mode again.
6. Try to restore again.

If the steps above do not resolve the issue, try restoring using a known-good USB cable, computer, and network connection.
JunkyDog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:13 PM   #3
aggri1
macrumors regular

Anyone have any further ideas on this issue?

Thanks junkydog for that info from the Apple support doc's.

Now what happens when you've used a known-good USB cable, computer and network connection, and you still get the error? Trip to the Apple Store?
aggri1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:40 PM   #4
DroidRules
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggri1 View Post
Anyone have any further ideas on this issue?

Thanks junkydog for that info from the Apple support doc's.

Now what happens when you've used a known-good USB cable, computer and network connection, and you still get the error? Trip to the Apple Store?
Apple store and if they can't restore it, replacement Good luck.
DroidRules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:03 PM   #5
TonyC28
macrumors 6502a

Happened to me a couple weeks ago. My phone would get down to about 5% and then just die. Upon restarting after plugging it in it the screen would show that it was 6:00pm on December 31st. Weird, so I left it plugged in for a couple minutes before determining that I needed to hook up to iTunes and possibly restore it. As soon as I unplugged the charger it the phone died instantly. When I plugged in to my computer the computer didn't recognize it. The only way to get it to do anything was to put it in restore mode. But the restore process failed every time with a different error. I took it to the Apple store where they somehow got it restored.
This week the same exact thing happened again, even down to the screen showing 6:00pm on December 31st. But this time I took it to the Apple store and they gave me a new phone.
TonyC28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:38 AM   #6
LoriBou
macrumors newbie

Conspiracy Theory

This happened to my friend's iPhone4 two weeks ago. I sat on customer support for an hour going through every possible solution. They determined it was a mechanical error, and since it was out of warranty - we were out of luck.
The other day the exact same thing happened to my own iPhone4. The device was kept in perfect condition and never dropped. No reason this should be happening - perhaps Apple wants us to buy the new iPhone 5.....
LoriBou is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone