Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I got a 25 foot HDMI cable so I could hook to my TV from across the room. My desktop shows up fine, but goes to black every few seconds, and comes back.

The picture looks fine while it is running. I am wondering if the length of the cable is causing it to drop out?

This is a 2011 MBA ultimate.

----------

Just tested this on a '09 13" macbook pro, worked fine. No dropout or anything. Something about the MBA doesn't like the setup.

Maybe it's the thunderbolt port not liking the HDMI adapter?

Anyways, this really sucks. Bought all that cable for nothing.

----------

Also - it appears to go black every 8 seconds, exactly.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
With the right cable, yes. I know a guy who pushes through a 50ft MDP-HDPI port, to a Dell projector. I don't know if audio works, we've never tried. His model is the 2011 13" MBA.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I can't get the MBA to recognize HDMI audio either. With the cable plugged in, I get the video (with the blackouts), but no option for audio.

My MDP to HDMI adapter predates thunderbolt, do I need an adapter that is designed to work correctly with Thunderbolt?

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
I can't get the MBA to recognize HDMI audio either. With the cable plugged in, I get the video (with the blackouts), but no option for audio.

My MDP to HDMI adapter predates thunderbolt, do I need an adapter that is designed to work correctly with Thunderbolt?

you shouldn't, i have one that works fine with my iMac and the MBA (albeit i haven't tried using the MBA with the TV since all those thunderbolt updates)

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
I've seen issues with these direct cables.

I'd get the adapter then an HDMI cable from monoprice.com

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I got the cable and adapter from monoprice, but it's not a Thuderbolt approved adapter.

Turned out that my Yahama receiver was the problem. I plugged the HDMI right into the TV and the problem was solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.