Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 20, 2011, 05:24 AM   #1
petervanderwall
macrumors newbie

Apple TV and MacBook wifi hotspot

I have a situation: I live abroad (I'm an American in Europe), have an American Netflix streaming account and use a VPN to stream Netflix on my computer. I have an appletv and I thought - wouldn't it be nice to stream netflix over my appletv, and watch netflix content on my large flatscreen? I have a VPN, through Astrill, so I did the following. Hooked up my macbook to the LAN out on my router, turned on the VPN and set up a wifi network broadcasting out of my macbook. Then I set my appletv up to access the VPN'd wifi hotspot out of my mac - thinking that if I set the VPN to an American server, then I could stream netflix through my appletv. However, after changing the wifi settings on my appletv (it connected fine), the main menu had mostly vanished! All internet connectivity options (streaming netflix and the like) had vanished, though stuff like youtube was still there. What went wrong? Any ideas?
petervanderwall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:48 PM   #2
orpheus1120
macrumors 65816

Any new connection with ? tv2 will result back to default settings, at least that's what I experienced. Try setting up the ? tv2 again via VPN connection. It will (fingers crossed) remember both your normal and VPN settings in the future.
orpheus1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:29 PM   #3
peterjcat
macrumors 6502

Or make sure your settings all say US and you're signed into the US iTunes store.
peterjcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater