Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petervanderwall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I have a situation: I live abroad (I'm an American in Europe), have an American Netflix streaming account and use a VPN to stream Netflix on my computer. I have an appletv and I thought - wouldn't it be nice to stream netflix over my appletv, and watch netflix content on my large flatscreen? I have a VPN, through Astrill, so I did the following. Hooked up my macbook to the LAN out on my router, turned on the VPN and set up a wifi network broadcasting out of my macbook. Then I set my appletv up to access the VPN'd wifi hotspot out of my mac - thinking that if I set the VPN to an American server, then I could stream netflix through my appletv. However, after changing the wifi settings on my appletv (it connected fine), the main menu had mostly vanished! All internet connectivity options (streaming netflix and the like) had vanished, though stuff like youtube was still there. What went wrong? Any ideas?

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Any new connection with ? tv2 will result back to default settings, at least that's what I experienced. Try setting up the ? tv2 again via VPN connection. It will (fingers crossed) remember both your normal and VPN settings in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.