Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 21, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1
thomasp
macrumors 6502a

Recording sounds onto an old G3 iBook

Hi,

We have a Late 2001 G3 iBook with OS9.2.1 running on it.

We want to record some music onto the laptop's hard drive using a standard microphone with a 4mm (or something around that size) jack plug on it.

What is the easiest way to record onto the iBook, as it doesn't seem to have an Audio-in socket like our G3 iMac does?

Also, can anyone recommend any half-decent (or free) software that will allow us to record a reasonably high quality audio file to the HD. Or, at least something that could allow us to edit a System 7 sound file (ie, cut portions out and improve gain, etc).

Thanks for the help
thomasp is offline   0
Old May 21, 2005, 11:55 AM   #2
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

USB audio adapters like Griffin's iMic work well for that kind of thing.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old May 21, 2005, 01:25 PM   #3
thomasp
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know of any UK stockists of the iMic - Amazon and the Apple store don't seem to sell it.

Also, does anyone have any software recommendations for OS9.2.1 (500MHz G3 processor with 384Mb RAM) that would allow me to cut and slightly edit music. By edit, I mean adjust the gain and balance, and things like that.

Thanks for the help
thomasp is offline   0
Old May 22, 2005, 02:31 PM   #4
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasp
Does anyone know of any UK stockists of the iMic - Amazon and the Apple store don't seem to sell it.
Amazon were hiding it here ... Wow, 25.49 is $47 ... it sells for closer to $30 here
Quote:
Also, does anyone have any software recommendations for OS9.2.1 (500MHz G3 processor with 384Mb RAM) that would allow me to cut and slightly edit music. By edit, I mean adjust the gain and balance, and things like that.
You might try Pro Tools Free. I know that there were other, simpler recording tools for old Mac OS, but it's been too long and I've forgotten the names. You might want to spend some time with http://versiontracker.rcom and http://macupdate.com .

[edit] Ahhh, here is the other one I was thinking about. Audacity might do the trick.

Last edited by iMeowbot; May 22, 2005 at 03:11 PM.
iMeowbot is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers