Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btomasie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Hello all,

have a mix of about 75 Blu-Ray's and 50 HD-DVD's... half of my home is Apple based, but I still live and breathe on a Win7 PC. I just beefed it up to the latest-and-greatest (unlocked i5-2500K, 8GB of RAM, and the bad-*ss Samsung 830 SSD) so I can convert all my physical HD discs to h.264 mp4's quickly and cleanly.

I chose the SW Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate, and works beautifully for Blu-Ray's!! But for the HD-DVD's, I am struggling to get it converted without this annoying little stutter that you can physically see during playback. I have to select the actual .EVO file from within the "HVDVD_TS" folder on the disc, and convert it.

Has anyone else been able to produce high-quality, clear, stutter-free HD-DVD movies?

I have TRIED to use Handbrake but when I select the "FEATURE.EVO", it comes up with an Error window stating "your source may be copy protected, badly mastered or in a format which HB does not support". It CAN see other .EVO files though within the same folder. I have brought the physical HD-DVD disc down to the PC with AnyDVD HD, and told it to strip the protection off of it. So not sure why it's freaking out.

Would love to hear any and all ideas!

Thanks,
Brian

stordoff

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
AFAIK, HD-DVD isn't supported by Handbrake. What I've done in the past is use MakeMKV to convert the HD-DVD to an MKV file (doesn't take long, but I think you'll need to re-rip), and then used that file with Handbrake.

Looks absolutely fine to me (720p with a modified iPad profile)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.