Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:24 PM   #1
brasskey
macrumors regular

Can I restore OSX from DVD and use a Time Machine backup from a networked drive?

I initially downloaded Lion through the App Store to update from Snow Leopard. But, when I went to install Lion, the software wouldn't install because I didn't have a GUID partition table scheme on my hard drive. So, I spoke with Apple and they told me to make a fresh backup to Time Machine, boot from the Snow Leopard DVD I have, restore with Time Machine backup, and setup the drive in a GUID partition when re-installing Snow Leopard. Then, install Snow Leopard updates and then re-download Lion from App Store and install.

My question is can restore from a Time Machine backup without the actual backup file being on my Macbook or on an external drive connected to the computer? For my computer backup and media sharing files, I have a Drobo with 10TB which is networked throughout the house. Since the Time Machine backup is networked, it is still possible to backup from this drive or does it need to be on the computer or on an external drive physically connected to the computer? I tried earlier but it just stayed on a window that said searching for Time Machine backups and the only other option it said was to connect an external drive.

Macbook (late 2008)
OS X 10.6.8
2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB DDR3
500 GB Hard Drive
brasskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:18 AM   #2
maflynn

As long as your TM volume is accessible when you boot up from your Snow Leopard disk, yes.

I was able to restore my system and I have TM on a Qnap NAS.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook