Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 21, 2005, 11:06 PM   #1
nfrank7931
macrumors newbie

Looking for a component on PB logic board

I am trying to find this connector that is mounted onto the logic board of my 15" DVI PB. My screen has gone out because it bacame loose and I can't get this one to work reliably. Anyone know where I can get this thing? I am attaching a photo. It is near the right hinge if you are looking at it from the bottom.

nfrank7931 is offline   0
Old May 22, 2005, 02:05 AM   #2
screensaver400
macrumors 6502a

This is where Applecare comes in handy. I doubt you'll be able to but just one of those-- They were likely custom made for whoever made the logic board.
screensaver400 is offline   0
Old May 22, 2005, 07:01 PM   #3
Gokhan
macrumors 6502a

ok cool

look up pc motherboard rebuilders they can bring dead logic boards back to life they will probably have the connector you are looking for but brace ur self cause it aint cheap
Old May 22, 2005, 07:40 PM   #4
psycho bob
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to psycho bob
The photo makes it a little awkward to see but if that is a a ZIF connector (zero insertion force) ie; the cable is pushed in and you slide a couple of locking pegs across then the fix isn't easy.

When you read apple's repair manuals and they mention these ZIF connectors any damage to them usually esults in the entire socket needing replacement (normally thy just replace the motherboard). What happens is the locking pins break so the cable isn't held in properly. If this is what has happened to you then you have a couple of choices;

1. Finding a replacement connector is one thing fitting it is quite another and unless you are seriously talented with a soldering iron you'll be looking for professional help which will cost.

2. A number of repair centres do logic board exchange programs, while this may see like an expensive step the fact they could repair yours means you will likely get a good trade in price for it. On the plus side they could fit a later Motherboard so you may even be able to get a slight speed increase for your money.

3. Now this option may seem like a bodge but if it really is a case of the connector simply not staying in the socket you could repair it yourself. Not by soldering but by wedging the connector in place, testing and the if necessary using glue to fix it in place. Have a play around see if you can wedge it, see if the display will work and then decide if you want to fix it permanently. If you use a good quality super glue carefully it can always be removed later should you want a professional fix (the decision needs to be yours though

You need to way up the pros and cons of each option. You will probably find that parts and labour are more exepensive then the machine is currently worth. Doing it yourself if you find the part is an option but if something goes wrong you've just lost all trade in value and the machine is completely unusable. I may have the original Ti DVI apple repair manual kicking around on my hard drive, I'll have a look later if that would be of use to you.
Old May 22, 2005, 10:52 PM   #5
nfrank7931
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your feedback.

The problem is that the contacts on that piece I circled keeping contact with the logic board. The screen had color and line issues. I opened the thing up and wiggled that piece and it made all the difference.

I already tried glueing, then soldering it down (just incase it the thing was grounded) but it can't get a good contact.

After that there wasn't much left to do besides soldering on all connections, which is way beyond my abilities, so I slightly bent down the contacts to have them put some pressure on the logic board. It still didn't get any better.

So, if I can't find a new connector piece, I will have to find someone to solder the connectos on this one.

I will for sure show more respect towards my next laptop. This one I have is beat to hell. This isn't the first manuver like this I've had to do to this thing to keep it running.
nfrank7931 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers