Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

portcontrol7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Got my first MacBook Pro last week, in fact the first new Mac product I have owned. Top of the line late 2011 2.5ghz quadcore with 8GB RAM and 17 inch matte. I had never used Lion before, and I will say that in my experience it is not ready. I had freezing, problems booting up, and then... the nightmare.

Finally got boot camp working after a couple tries with Windows 7. Everything is starting to come along. I am downloading Lion updates, and do the restart. After restarting I needed to take care of something so I closed the MBP and put it in the bag confident that it would be in sleep mode. 3 hours later I pull it out and it is ROASTING hot and still trying to boot up after updating. Now it won't let me log in, it gets to the login screen, accepts the password, grey-screens and shoots me back to login.

Here's my question for you all. Do you think if I bring my MBP into the local Apple store they will replace this week old product? I don't want to reinstall, my concern is the outrageous heat and length of time it was heating in that bag (3 hours). Anyone can let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Stressed and depressed...

Lee Adama

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
California
if it's a hardware issue they will replace it. If it's software, they'll attempt to restore first.

Call Apple, talk to em. Set an appointment. They are cool people. Always got better than expected customer service from them.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
I don't see why not. If you were having problems with lockups and freezes on Lion before the episode in the backpack, it sounds like the machine was defective.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Well, you should ALWAYS make sure the computer has actually gone to sleep before putting it into the bag. This is just good sense, and applies to your computer regardless of whether it's a Mac or PC. If nothing else, you shouldn't move the computer while the HDD is spinning, and it's spinning a lot when writing the sleep image. I ALWAYS wait for the sleep indicator light to begin to pulse before moving the computer. So that was your main issue. It sucks that the computer didn't go to sleep, but you DID choose a bad time to try and sleep it and you didn't make sure it was sleeping. Unfortunately, that's on you.

What problems did you have with Lion freezing and booting up? I haven't had any issues at all with Lion. That isn't to say that the problems don't exist...

portcontrol7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
I agree that I should have checked to make sure it was sleeping, but the default behavior is that it SHOULD goto sleep when closed. I was trusting it to do what it was supposed to do. I had multiple freezes in Lion, I had the problem where it would not boot until manually powered off, and restarted (just hanging at the apple icon), and disk errors. Here's my concern. I wasted a week trying to configure this thing. Now I have my data backed up, I just want to be able to go in and say listen, just give me a new MBP please. I don't want to waste time troubleshooting and I don't want a product that has overheated period as the components could break in the future if it wasn't already defective.

----------

I now will know to not trust Lion to be as smooth as Snow Leopard. I am so freaked about because I have no way of buying another one. If they don't replace it I'll have a nervous breakdown.

----------

I don't know if it costs money to see a genius or whatever, but if it does I'm screwed. I live in a homeless shelter, I am a 36 year old homeless veteran who got this machine to start a business and change my life. I am so friggin bummed out right now.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I agree that I should have checked to make sure it was sleeping, but the default behavior is that it SHOULD goto sleep when closed. I was trusting it to do what it was supposed to do.

True. But your car also shouldn't burn oil, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't check it. It also sounds like it may not have been all the way through the boot process when you closed the lid, which would prevent it from sleeping. It's hard to say because you didn't specify when you slept the computer, just "after it restarted" which could be immediately after you heard the chime or after it got to the login screen.

I had multiple freezes in Lion, I had the problem where it would not boot until manually powered off, and restarted (just hanging at the apple icon), and disk errors. Here's my concern. I wasted a week trying to configure this thing. Now I have my data backed up, I just want to be able to go in and say listen, just give me a new MBP please. I don't want to waste time troubleshooting and I don't want a product that has overheated period as the components could break in the future if it wasn't already defective.

Sounds like you were having lots of problems to begin with. You can certainly request a replacement. You could also simply return the machine and buy a new one, which would bypass all the questions associated with requesting a replacement. If you DO request a replacement, they will want to do some troubleshooting (if you're at an Apple Store), and they have good reasons to do so.

----------

I don't know if it costs money to see a genius or whatever, but if it does I'm screwed. I live in a homeless shelter, I am a 36 year old homeless veteran who got this machine to start a business and change my life. I am so friggin bummed out right now.

Doesn't cost any money to see a Genius at the Genius Bar. But, as IllIllIll pointed out, you do have 14 days to return the machine. I'd just return it and buy a new one. Don't be too worried, your experience is not normal. I've been running Lion on a MacBook from 2007 and it runs quite smooth.

Lee Adama

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
California
I agree that I should have checked to make sure it was sleeping, but the default behavior is that it SHOULD goto sleep when closed. I was trusting it to do what it was supposed to do. I had multiple freezes in Lion, I had the problem where it would not boot until manually powered off, and restarted (just hanging at the apple icon), and disk errors. Here's my concern. I wasted a week trying to configure this thing. Now I have my data backed up, I just want to be able to go in and say listen, just give me a new MBP please. I don't want to waste time troubleshooting and I don't want a product that has overheated period as the components could break in the future if it wasn't already defective.

----------

I now will know to not trust Lion to be as smooth as Snow Leopard. I am so freaked about because I have no way of buying another one. If they don't replace it I'll have a nervous breakdown.

----------

1- Thank you for serving your country.
2- like others have said, 14 days to return. They will most likely replace it.
3- Not normal behavior at all for MacBook Pro and Lion. My experience has been trouble free and I'm sure once you get a good machine, you will dig it!

:cool::)

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Return it and buy a new one? They won't just exchange it for a new one?

They probably will. Just tell them that if they won't, you'll just return it for a refund and turn around and buy a new one. It'll save everybody a little time.

portcontrol7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Cool. Hopefully this one will run more smoothly. I thought it was just Lion but this thing would freeze, and refuse to boot. I will make a point of telling them it was my first Apple product.

portcontrol7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
You're homeless and your main priority was buying a 2,000 dollar laptop?

$3049 Macbook Pro. And yes, it will be worth it.

----------

And I didn't have the money. Someone believed in me, and bought it for me. I have a plan. Not all homeless people are bums, I just had a real bad breakdown 3 years ago and my life fell apart. Fault is irrelevant, action in the here and know is what concerns me, and getting this MBP is the big break that I needed to turn this ship about.

portcontrol7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Maybe I should get homeless. Then I too can get a MacBook Pro! :D

I'll tell you the worst part about being homeless. Not having what I like to call "******* you money". As in "******* this, I have money", or "******* you, I don't have to be around you because I have ******* you money".

In other words you cannot control your environment. And you're surrounded by bums. Bums to the left of me, bums to the right... Torturous.

Spencer Reynen

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
I'll tell you the worst part about being homeless. Not having what I like to call "******* you money". As in "******* this, I have money", or "******* you, I don't have to be around you because I have ******* you money".

In other words you cannot control your environment. And you're surrounded by bums. Bums to the left of me, bums to the right... Torturous.
Apple is very, extremely, helpful in things and will surely replace the laptop as it is still under the 14 days. Explain that there's an issue with your mac and they'll just replace it, but you have to get it in there within the 14 day window. You should have absolutely nothing to worry about. I also hope everything turns out good for you.

portcontrol7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Apple is very, extremely, helpful in things and will surely replace the laptop as it is still under the 14 days. Explain that there's an issue with your mac and they'll just replace it, but you have to get it in there within the 14 day window. You should have absolutely nothing to worry about. I also hope everything turns out good for you.

Thanks Spencer. I just checked and the item was received on the 9th, which makes tomorrow the 14th day. I didn't actually get it until last week because it was shipped to a location for me to pick up. Looks like I will be getting in by the skin of my teeth, but you put my mind at ease... Tomorrow I open a new Macbook Pro! And I'll be sure to keep an eye on it and make sure it's in sleep mode when closed.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
im sorry, but its pretty ridiculous that you had to get the TOP OF THE LINE macbook pro while homeless. i know someone bought it for you to start a business, but they couldnt get you a lower model and give you the difference to maybe get other things you would need for the business? the difference between the top of the line and lower end, is not justified in your situation.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
I have a few words of advice for you,
First off, your Apple Store probably won't have a replacement unless you originally bought it there, considering that is most likely a custom configured machine. Please, do me a favor and call Apple and have them send you a new one instead, that way you can make sure it is the right one.
I had this same exact problem with the freezing, macbook pro not sleeping and cooking itself in a bag, ect. I got a new MacBook Pro, and it was solved.

I know how you feel.. I was outraged myself. I had this happen one time where I brought my old unit to do an bid on web development for a local business... lo and behold my machine was nearly out of battery when I took it out of my bag. Luckily I was able to make it through the whole presentation with 8% battery, and no one realized I was in a rush to get through. I actually ended up getting the bid!

Last edited:

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
After restarting I needed to take care of something so I closed the MBP and put it in the bag confident that it would be in sleep mode. 3 hours later I pull it out and it is ROASTING hot and still trying to boot up after updating.

I have seen this before on my macbook pro. I used to close the lid and put it in the bag and go home only later to find it was extremely hot and had not shut down correctly. I now close the lid and wait for the sleep light to start blinking to indicate it had shutdown.

Now the only problem I am having since updating the efi firmware is when I sleep it and take it out and open it up, the screen will not turn on. I have to open / shut a few times, then plug and unplug the power and hold my tongue just right then it wakes from sleep.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Everything is starting to come along. I am downloading Lion updates, and do the restart. After restarting I needed to take care of something so I closed the MBP and put it in the bag confident that it would be in sleep mode.

This sounds a lot like the update process was not finished when he put the MBP in the bag. The usual update process is download, then the system asks for a restart, then you boot into a grey screen with a progress bar that shows how the updates are going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.