Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:26 AM   #1
cw8
macrumors newbie

Unhappy iPhone 3GS stuck in restore (or DFU?) mode after iOS 5 upgrade

My iPhone 3Gs threw an error whilst upgrading to iOS 5 (can’t remember which error that was). Since then the screen stays black and itunes displays the following information for the phone:

Name: iPhone
Serial Number: N/A
Software Version: N/A
Capacity: N/A

There is also a popup that says “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before you can use it with iTunes.”

Additionally, there is no option to restore from backup (i.e. right-click>restore from backup). When I hit the Restore button, it will go through the restore process using the iOS 5 ipsw downloaded from Apple. Towards the end of the restore, when it says something like “verifying restore with apple” it stops and throws an Error 37.

I called Apple support and I was told to go and try the following solutions:
1. Use the most up-to-date version of iTunes
2. Connect to the router using an Ethernet cable
3. Update the firmware on the router
4. Switch off any anti-virus software and firewalls
5. Try on another home network on another computer (having already tried at home on both Windows 7 and MacBook laptops)

None of these worked. So I turned to Sn0Wbreeze, TinyUmbrella, recBoot, and iRecover; whilst trying also with a variety of ipsw’s of all the different iOS versions downloaded from various providers. Still does not work, although I now get a whole host of errors, including 2005, 3194, 1600, and of course 37.

I am now completely at the end of my tether with this, and have no doubt invalidated my warranty by trying Sn0wbreeze etc. I thought I was doing the right thing by upgrading iOS but obviously not!

Any ideas? For the record I do have a backup from just before I tried doing the update, but like I say iTunes doesn’t seem to allow me this option.

Many thanks!
cw8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:36 AM   #2
ABernardoJr
macrumors 6502

Did you try putting it into DFU mode and restoring from there? And there might be some solutions from the other error numbers you got but I don't know if they're consequences of working with jailbreaks or if they're part of the core problem (I'm assuming 37 was the core problem).
ABernardoJr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:02 AM   #3
cw8
macrumors newbie

I'm not sure that it's not already in DFU mode as there is no USB/Apple logo on the screen, and nothing happens at all when I press the home+power buttons simultaneously. However iTunes does recognise when I have plugged it in.

----------

Just spotted this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1223337 I'll give that a go, see how we get on.
cw8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone