Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:00 PM   #1
jctivo
macrumors member

Apple TV 2 Vs Apple TV 1 and other questions

I'm thinking about getting and Apple tv but need component output because of distribution issues.

1. Can Apple TV 1 do things like airplay? Or is it more limited because it's Apple tv 1.

2. I like the idea of Apple TV 1 because it has component output. Can it simultaneously output hdmi and component?

3. Can you work either Apple TV 1 or 2 with a remote app on iphone 4 via wifi?

4. Can you hook up a hard drive to Apple TV 2 and then add movies/songs to it from your network?

I have 2 kids so I don't get free time to go into the stores to ask these questions.

Please help.

Thanks,
jctivo
jctivo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

1: No, but you can add it if you hack it. (Its easy)

2: No

3: Yes

4: No, the Apple TV 2's USB port is a device port. Not a host port like that on a computer. You'll need to jailbreak the Apple TV 2 and use a networked hard drive.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5

Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctivo View Post
I'm thinking about getting and Apple tv but need component output because of distribution issues.

1. Can Apple TV 1 do things like airplay? Or is it more limited because it's Apple tv 1.

2. I like the idea of Apple TV 1 because it has component output. Can it simultaneously output hdmi and component?

3. Can you work either Apple TV 1 or 2 with a remote app on iphone 4 via wifi?

4. Can you hook up a hard drive to Apple TV 2 and then add movies/songs to it from your network?

I have 2 kids so I don't get free time to go into the stores to ask these questions.

Please help.

Thanks,
jctivo

Firstly, go for an ATV 2 The 1 is outdated now. My setup works this way:

ATV is connected to my network via a Draytek gigabit router, which also provides it with Internet access.

The optical output is connected to a 7.1 surround DTS system which is also Internet connected.

My iMac is connected to the router, and streams music and content form my iTunes library to the ATV DTS and 42" HD TV

The HDMI cable on the ATV is connected to the TV.

My MBA MBP and IPad, all stream wirelessly to this system.

Adding an hdd directly to the ATV is not something I have ever tried, as I have all the streaming options covered. My gut instinct tells my you can't. But if your content is in iTunes on all your devices, and home sharing is on, you should not need to.

It may be possible to connect a network hdd that the ATV can see, but I have never tried that route.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:52 AM   #4
jctivo
macrumors member

thanks

thanks for all of the answers. I appreciate the help.
jctivo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater