Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I now have a Sony DH820 AV receiver which allows me to simplify my AV cabling to be all-HDMI. It has slightly simplified all the button pressing required, although only buying a Sony Bravia would probably allow me to do that completely. As I'm intrigued by the rumours of a new Apple TV set, my Panasonic LCD will have to last a bit longer, though it would need to be very compelling and even then I'm not sure I'd buy the 1st gen.

The thing is, do I go ahead and buy an ATV2? My old Vaio laptop would allow me to start ripping DVDs but I have very few films or TV programmes on iTunes so I'm not sure there's any point yet. I'm in the UK, so would have to rely on iTunes - no Netflix yet. My Humax freeview recorder already allows me to use BBC iplayer on the TV.

The ATV2 cost is relatively low and I could probably pass on to a friend or my brother if it was fundamentally replaced.

Would I be better starting the long process of ripping my DVDs and if so have I been stupid in starting to buy BluRay?

I'm not aksing people to make the decision for me... just trying to understand what ATV could do for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.