Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:22 AM   #1
Moccasin
macrumors 6502a

Umming & Aahing about buying ATV2

I now have a Sony DH820 AV receiver which allows me to simplify my AV cabling to be all-HDMI. It has slightly simplified all the button pressing required, although only buying a Sony Bravia would probably allow me to do that completely. As I'm intrigued by the rumours of a new Apple TV set, my Panasonic LCD will have to last a bit longer, though it would need to be very compelling and even then I'm not sure I'd buy the 1st gen.

The thing is, do I go ahead and buy an ATV2? My old Vaio laptop would allow me to start ripping DVDs but I have very few films or TV programmes on iTunes so I'm not sure there's any point yet. I'm in the UK, so would have to rely on iTunes - no Netflix yet. My Humax freeview recorder already allows me to use BBC iplayer on the TV.

The ATV2 cost is relatively low and I could probably pass on to a friend or my brother if it was fundamentally replaced.

Would I be better starting the long process of ripping my DVDs and if so have I been stupid in starting to buy BluRay?

I'm not aksing people to make the decision for me... just trying to understand what ATV could do for me.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater