Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I recently bought an iPod Nano 6G to use as a wristwatch and a DAP for cycling and walking. I am really impressed with the sound quality of this little baby but I am a bit disappointed with the battery life.

According to Apple the battery should last 24 hours but when I have being doing a test. I have being playing mp3s for about 5 hours now continuously and the battery has fallen to about 65%. Is this normal? I have also noticed that it doesn't take long (about 5 minutes ) for the battery to fall to 95%

Please advise

Last edited:

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
How the iPod is used affects battery performance drastically - for example, the screen brightness, the volume of the music, and how often the screen is used.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
The test results are from my iPod Nano on sleep mode left alone while music is playing continuously on full volume.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Final results:

I left my iPod Nano to continuously play music at full volume with the headphones plugged in. I am only getting around 14 hours of playback before the battery fully discharges. So much for Apples advertised 24 hours:mad:

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Apple's tests are with music at half volume, so at least some of that extra drain is due to testing it at full volume.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Can't keep up, is the latest gen the 6th or 7th gen nano?

What is the difference between the last one and the one just out?

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Can't keep up, is the latest gen the 6th or 7th gen nano?

What is the difference between the last one and the one just out?

Consensus seems to be that the Fall 2010 and Fall 2011 nanos are basically the same. There may be minor component differences but the same software runs on both of them and performance is basically identical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.