Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deancarlom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Looking for the best way to view full 1080P HD video on my Plasma. I have been happy for quite some time streaming home movies from my mini to my ATV 1, but I just bought a Canon Vixia HD camcorder and the raw 1080 video played from the camcorder via HDMI is so much better than what I get when I convert to a ATV friendly compressed file. The ATV's max bit rate is 5Mbs but my camera will do 20Mbs and the difference in quality is huge, so I am looking for a solution that will enable me to play either the raw MTS files or a high bit rate H.264 file. My raw MTS files are stored on a USB drive attached to the mini and I am currently using Elgato's Turbo 264HD for transcoding.

I have been looking at a Mac friendly DLNA NAS that would enable me to upload videos from my mini to the NAS and perhaps using a PS3/Xbox to access the NAS on the TV side. I hear the Synology NAS is good.

I am open to any suggestions or solutions that would enable me to get the full 1080 video on my TV.

Any other solutions out there? I just can't go back to the ATV 960 x 540 resolution and bit rate after seeing full HD.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I've been having great luck with the Boxee Box. I had been using a jailbroken AppleTV2 but wanted 1080p on my tv and the Boxee Box can do that. I set up NFS sharing on my iMac and MacMini and havent had any buffering problems even with 25gig 1080p video files

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Synology does have a DLNA server on it. I tried a friend's PS3 for a little while and it worked fine with it. You'll have to make sure that all of your videos are already in PS3-compatible format. No NAS will transcode videos for you. As an alternate, I think a Roku box will do 1080p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.