Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:52 AM   #1
macdudesir
macrumors 6502

Exclamation Disk utility-Could not unmount disk

I messed up the partitions on my MBP and now, trying to erase the entire hard drive and restore, when I click erase on the drive, disk utility says Could not unmount the disk even though the two partitions are greyed out on the side bar and can be unmounted manually by clicking unmount but then when i click erase again, i get the same error.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by macdudesir; Nov 25, 2011 at 02:37 AM.
macdudesir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:25 AM   #2
zigzagg321
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdudesir View Post
I messed up the partitions on my MBP and now, trying to erase the entire hard drive and restore, when I click erase on the drive, disk utility says Could not unmount the disk even though the two partitions are greyed out on the side bar and can be unmounted manually by clicking unmount but then when i click erase again, i get the same error.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

This happened to me after I ran Bootcamp. Later on, I wanted to ditch Windows and I wanted to get rid of the partition I had made for it and what you describe is what was happening to me. I ended up having to reinstall Lion from the recovery partition of the HDD.
zigzagg321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:37 AM   #3
macdudesir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagg321 View Post
This happened to me after I ran Bootcamp. Later on, I wanted to ditch Windows and I wanted to get rid of the partition I had made for it and what you describe is what was happening to me. I ended up having to reinstall Lion from the recovery partition of the HDD.
That's what I was going to do, but out Internet connection is slow. I ended up using the snow leopard install cd to reformat the whole drive. It was saying could not unmourned because it wanted to unmount the whole hard drive and it couldnt because the recovery partition is on the drive and was being used. But with the cd, the drive was inactive. Thank you for your input though!
macdudesir is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion