Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 23, 2005, 05:06 AM   #1
russed
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to russed
powerbook, tiger and putting the lid down

has anyone else noticed that with tiger, when putting the lid down on your powerbook (or ibook) that it takes probably about 15 - 30 seconds for it to go to sleep (when the light starts pulsing). previously on both 10.2 and 10.3 it would sleep within seconds, if not nearly instantantiously.

i have a 12" PB 1Ghz.
Old May 23, 2005, 05:46 AM   #2
Balin64
macrumors 6502a

Weird

I have a new 12" PB with clean Tiger install. Mine goes to sleep about two seconds after I close the lid.

Maybe you should not let your 'book drink coffee too late...
Balin64 is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 06:17 AM   #3
Gordy
macrumors 6502a

Mines fairly instantaneous too 12in pb 1.5ghz 512mb Tiger 10.4.1 if that helps
Gordy is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 06:35 AM   #4
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balin64
I have a new 12" PB with clean Tiger install. Mine goes to sleep about two seconds after I close the lid.

2 seconds here.

andi
andiwm2003 is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 07:19 AM   #5
James Philp

almost instantaneous here.
PB G3 500 Pismo
James Philp is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 08:06 AM   #6
yippy
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to yippy
Mine takes about 5 seconds to go to sleep.
yippy is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 08:16 AM   #7
Applespider
macrumors 603

You're not alone - someone else did post this as a post-Tiger bug (but can't find it) EDIT This thread from 335 onwards

My rev A 15" shuts down in 2 seconds and wakes up again equally quickly.

Last edited by Applespider; May 23, 2005 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Found earlier thread
Applespider is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 08:36 AM   #8
russed
macrumors 68000

oh well at least im not the only one. its just annoying though. it was so cool when it shut down near instantaniously but now its just a pain.

i have no problem with the starting up again once its also, it does that just as quick as it did under panther.
Old May 23, 2005, 08:54 AM   #9
afd
macrumors 6502a

mine too

Mine takes a while to go too sleep also. PB 12" 512MB 1.5GHz. More annoying is it takes a similar time to get connected a a wifi network, it is instant with my old 15" titanium PB.
afd is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 09:03 AM   #10
Diatribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by russed
has anyone else noticed that with tiger, when putting the lid down on your powerbook (or ibook) that it takes probably about 15 - 30 seconds for it to go to sleep (when the light starts pulsing). previously on both 10.2 and 10.3 it would sleep within seconds, if not nearly instantantiously.

i have a 12" PB 1Ghz.
Yep, same here, it is quite annoying. I'll try and zap the pram and see if this helps.
Old May 23, 2005, 10:51 AM   #11
tekmoe
macrumors 68000

What software have you installed???

I was having this issue and I am on 10.3.9. I figured out it was an application called Adium (IM Client). I checked the Adium website and they did confirm this was causing a problem with the sleep mode on apple computers. If I have Adium running and I put my powerbook to sleep, sometimes it will take around 15 seconds before it actually goes to sleep. If I exit out of Adium all together, it takes no more than 2 seconds before it goes to sleep.

Close all of your applications and put your powerbook to sleep. If it still is taking 15-30 seconds, you may have other problems...
tekmoe is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 11:09 AM   #12
russed
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe
What software have you installed???

I was having this issue and I am on 10.3.9. I figured out it was an application called Adium (IM Client). I checked the Adium website and they did confirm this was causing a problem with the sleep mode on apple computers. If I have Adium running and I put my powerbook to sleep, sometimes it will take around 15 seconds before it actually goes to sleep. If I exit out of Adium all together, it takes no more than 2 seconds before it goes to sleep.

Close all of your applications and put your powerbook to sleep. If it still is taking 15-30 seconds, you may have other problems...
i think you may have have just hit the nail on the head! i do use adium. i never had these problems with it on 10.3.9 but then again there have been significant updates to adium around the time of the tiger release.

i just tried shutting adium and bingo - problem resolved - it went to sleep in a matter of seconds!
Old May 23, 2005, 11:22 AM   #13
russed
macrumors 68000

damn - i have the new problem now - what do i do about adium!
Old May 23, 2005, 11:41 AM   #14
Diatribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by russed
damn - i have the new problem now - what do i do about adium!

If you search here for ticket 106 it says it's fixed. So it should be fine once 0.8.2 comes out.
Old May 23, 2005, 12:12 PM   #15
PBG4
macrumors member

just closed my lid, it took about 5 sec.
17" 1.67 Ghz, 512MB, 10.4.1 tiger
-100GB
-Combo Drive
-ATI 9700 128MB vRam
-Mac OS X 10.4.3

iPod Photo - 60 GB
iPod Video - 60 GB
Airport Extreme
more apple products to come.
PBG4 is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 12:47 PM   #16
Pismo
macrumors 6502

No problems here. It may take a while to go back to sleep after waking from sleep. It takes a while for the laptop to figure out that the lid is closed again or put to sleep after it was woken up.
Pismo is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 01:10 PM   #17
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Well I had that problem on my Rev. A 12'' PB, but I have had that problem since about 10.3.5. or somewhere in there. Please to report no problems with new Rev D. PB though.
Koodauw is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 01:16 PM   #18
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Wow, I submitted a ticket on Adium when I first got Tiger, and I had no idea it was an issue other people saw. This is the weird thing. I got Dasher and re-installed Adium right after I got Tiger. At first it seemed that Dasher was preventing Tiger from going to sleep. So I uninstalled it. But then after a while, it started happening again, and I thought it was Adium. So I tried closing adium, and sure enough... But then Dasher started doing it again. I'm so confused because it seems to work sometimes and not others. Right now, I think my computer will sleep normally with Adium. Maybe I should get Dasher again?
Old May 23, 2005, 01:57 PM   #19
tekmoe
macrumors 68000

A ticket was submitted to Adium, it says resolved, and all we have to do now is wait for the 0.82 release. Believe me, I check the adiumx.com website on a daily basis. =)

Yeah, it took me about a week to figure out why my powerbook would sometimes take 15 seconds to sleep. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen everytime. Sometimes I forget to exit out of Adium, and shut the powerbook lid, and it goes to sleep like it normally should. But most of the time, it takes it about 15 seconds. Whenever I do remember to exit Adium though, it ALWAYS goes to sleep within a couple of seconds, so it is DEFINITELY Adium that is causing the problem.
tekmoe is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 02:01 PM   #20
TheMasin9
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to TheMasin9
same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balin64

same here, u must have a wired book or something
TheMasin9 is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 02:02 PM   #21
Diatribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
Wow, I submitted a ticket on Adium when I first got Tiger, and I had no idea it was an issue other people saw. This is the weird thing. I got Dasher and re-installed Adium right after I got Tiger. At first it seemed that Dasher was preventing Tiger from going to sleep. So I uninstalled it. But then after a while, it started happening again, and I thought it was Adium. So I tried closing adium, and sure enough... But then Dasher started doing it again. I'm so confused because it seems to work sometimes and not others. Right now, I think my computer will sleep normally with Adium. Maybe I should get Dasher again?
According to the ticket it will work the first time and then it delays but as I said it seems to be fixed for 0.82
Old May 23, 2005, 10:17 PM   #22
csd32
macrumors newbie

Similar Problem, sort of.

I'm having a weird issue with my 15 inch powerbook. The sleep LED stays on all the time. This is a recient development. At first I thought it was some sort of screw up, like I put the computer to sleep and then woke it up too quickly, but it never went away.

Then I figured out that when I move the lid back and forth, the light cuts on and off (off when pushing it away from me, on when pulling it towards me). This makes me think that somehow the LED is shorting out or has a bad connection somewhere near the hinge. It doesn't effect the performance of me PB, however it's annoying to have to look at the screen having a really bright LED blasting you in the face all the time.

So help me out! Should I just call Apple and see if I can send it in to have the hinge strengthened? Or should I figure out a way to just turn the LED off or something?

I'm being blinded!
csd32 is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 10:38 PM   #23
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatribe
According to the ticket it will work the first time and then it delays but as I said it seems to be fixed for 0.82
Yeah, I tried it again, and I do definitely seem to have a separate problem with Dasher preventing sleep.... So, once again, it's been uninstalled.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:12 AM   #24
native00
macrumors regular

...slightly related...adium has given me another issue...i can't keep the icon in the dock after restarting my PB G4. I installed adium 0.81 after i did a tiger upgrade....
native00 is offline   0
Old May 24, 2005, 01:04 PM   #25
solaris
macrumors 6502a

I had the same slow sleep problem on my 15" PowerBook, running Mac OS 10.4.1.
After reading this thread I quit Adium before I close the lid and it slept within 2 sec.

The problem seems to be fixed in the latest Trunk source.
At least I cant reproduce it anymore, using my own Adium 0.9svn build (revision 12072)!
solaris is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers