Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:23 PM   #1
aneftp
macrumors 68040

What's the "useful" life span of a modern iPad/tablet

Judging by mobile OS lifespans of cellular phones (iPhone 3G choking on OS updates after 2 years). Android phones choking on Android updates after 1 year-1.5 years.

How long do you think the April 2010 iPad life span can realistic last. I am talking about real use. Games etc

Obvious email basic browsing will make it viable for up to 3 years.

But I think 2 years tops for standard regular performance.

Any one want to further comment?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:44 PM   #2
s15119
macrumors 6502a

10 years.
s15119 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:45 PM   #3
ditzy
macrumors 68000

The iPhone 3GS is still being sold now, and is a perfectly viable phone. That phone has had two major iOS updates. I think that the iPad will last at least two major updates. Likely three, after that not sure.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:54 PM   #4
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15119 View Post
10 years.
Actually 9.5....

Seriously, as long as it does what you need it to do, and the battery still holds a charge...
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:39 PM   #5
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Ok. Just asking cause the next OS update may cause issues with the iPod touch 3rd gen/4th gen, iPad , iPhone 3GS (cause the 256mb RAM).

That seems to be the sticking point these days with OS updates. 256mb RAM.

That's why the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod touch 1st and 2nd generations all have 128mb of RAM and no longer have any support.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:46 PM   #6
torbjoern
Banned

In 10 years, an iPad 2 can play the same games it can today. It's not always necessary with fancy new hardware to play the coolest games. HOMM3 has been my favourite game for 12 years.
torbjoern is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Until it doesn't work for you anymore. For me, laptops work until I spill beer on them.
Yr Blues is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Pete the Geek
macrumors regular

Power users will move on every year or two, but I think that in five years there will still be a significant number of original iPads in use. Starting at the five year-point, I think that battery aging issues and greater demands on the hardware for Internet content will start to make a new device more appealing than a battery swap. Still, if there are viable battery replacement services, we could see ten-year old iPads being used by kids and grannies in 2020.
Pete the Geek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:17 PM   #9
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Ok. Just asking cause the next OS update may cause issues with the iPod touch 3rd gen/4th gen, iPad , iPhone 3GS (cause the 256mb RAM).

That seems to be the sticking point these days with OS updates. 256mb RAM.

That's why the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod touch 1st and 2nd generations all have 128mb of RAM and no longer have any support.
I am willing to bet that the iPad will get another software update? Why because the iPod touch 4th generation will be replaced yes? but the old models still get at least one update. Early adopters will get 2+ updates. So the iPod touch and iPad will. Maybe not the 3gen
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:35 PM   #10
MykullMyerz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbjoern View Post
In 10 years, an iPad 2 can play the same games it can today. It's not always necessary with fancy new hardware to play the coolest games. HOMM3 has been my favourite game for 12 years.
What is HOMM3?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:41 PM   #11
Pressure
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykullMyerz View Post
What is HOMM3?
Heroes of Might and Magic
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:45 PM   #12
MykullMyerz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Heroes of Might and Magic
Oh wow thanks. I remember that franchise from when I was a little kid.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:58 PM   #13
torbjoern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykullMyerz View Post
Oh wow thanks. I remember that franchise from when I was a little kid.
The third one is the best, and I wish there was an iPad version for it.
torbjoern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:46 PM   #14
panamo
macrumors newbie

Lasts as long as it takes for you to crack the screen!
panamo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:00 PM   #15
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

You don't have to update to the newest OS if its a resource hog.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:05 PM   #16
Julien
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15119 View Post
10 years.
Are you still using/syncing your first gen 5GB Firewire iPod (or know of anyone)? Besides being technologically outdated (software and hardware) the lithium ion's won't last that long.

About 6 years would be more realistic for long term (and even then you will be WAY behind on software and will only get a couple of hours per charge).

Last edited by Julien; Nov 27, 2011 at 02:10 PM.
Julien is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:19 PM   #17
TrollToddington
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbjoern View Post
The third one is the best, and I wish there was an iPad version for it.
Who knows, they might be working on it. HOMM interface is quite suitable for iPad.
TrollToddington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:39 PM   #18
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Judging by mobile OS lifespans of cellular phones (iPhone 3G choking on OS updates after 2 years). Android phones choking on Android updates after 1 year-1.5 years.

How long do you think the April 2010 iPad life span can realistic last. I am talking about real use. Games etc

Obvious email basic browsing will make it viable for up to 3 years.

But I think 2 years tops for standard regular performance.

Any one want to further comment?
The iPhone 3G is unique in that it had the same internals as the original iPhone. Same processor, same RAM, same graphics. So I would say iOS devices can handle more than 2 years of major updates.

The 3GS has already been out for over 2 years and it handles iOS5 like a champ.
newagemac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:22 PM   #19
daveathall
macrumors 68000

I have had an iPad 1 since the first day they were released in the UK, battery is still going strong, iPad still does what is required. I will be disappointed if it doesn't last another 3 or 4 years.
daveathall is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:22 PM   #20
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

I never understand comments about Android vs. iOS update ability or frequency.

Updates for Android and iOS are as different as night and day. There is no simple one-for-one comparison.

--

Android has long had multitasking, folders, voice input and a good notification system, so the OS mostly gets speed and graphics tweaks these days. It's not missing core functionality. (With the major exception of cut & paste being a late addon.)

Bug fixes for individual device hardware also come fairly often from each manufacturer without needing a global update.

Want to add a Siri-like system? Update Google Maps? No problem, they can be downloaded and/or added separately on without needing an OS update.

--

On the other hand, for iOS, it's understandable that people would want to be assured of getting official updates in order to add such core services without having to jailbreak.

(Not that Apple actually gives every phone all the features of an update, even when they can. E.g. MMS, voice control, multitasking, and now Siri.)

--

For either iOS or Android, if a device does what you need when you buy it, then that's the meat. Anything after that is gravy.
kdarling is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:11 AM   #21
lilkangster
macrumors member

Depends on what your definition of useful is. I develop apps for a living so for me the useful lifespan is until they stop providing updates and support to the device. In this retrospect apple products tend to have longer life spans for most android devices stop receiving updates shortly after they are launched (there are some exceptions but yea most of them you would be lucky if you get one or two updates to the os). Apple tends to be great in this area and most products are updated and supported 2 years after launch. However, if you do not need the latest and greatest software and hardware, and is only using the device to run some apps listen to music and do some web browsing then I would have to say the life span is as long as you find it still capable of doing all that. I still own a 1st gen ipod touch which i use regularly and I still find it pretty useful (however, battery life is pretty horrible by now).
lilkangster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:27 AM   #22
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
I never understand comments about Android vs. iOS update ability or frequency.

Updates for Android and iOS are as different as night and day. There is no simple one-for-one comparison.

--

Android has long had multitasking, folders, voice input and a good notification system, so the OS mostly gets speed and graphics tweaks these days. It's not missing core functionality. (With the major exception of cut & paste being a late addon.)

Bug fixes for individual device hardware also come fairly often from each manufacturer without needing a global update.

Want to add a Siri-like system? Update Google Maps? No problem, they can be downloaded and/or added separately on without needing an OS update.

--

On the other hand, for iOS, it's understandable that people would want to be assured of getting official updates in order to add such core services without having to jailbreak.

(Not that Apple actually gives every phone all the features of an update, even when they can. E.g. MMS, voice control, multitasking, and now Siri.)

--

For either iOS or Android, if a device does what you need when you buy it, then that's the meat. Anything after that is gravy.

Totally irrelevant post that has nothing to do with the thread or OP's question.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:46 AM   #23
Bernard SG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
Until it doesn't work for you anymore. For me, laptops work until I spill beer on them.
Now admit that you intentionally spill beer on your laptop now and then, so you can justify an upgrade .

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Blah blah, Android. Good. Apple. Evil... Blah blah
You forgot to drop the usual keywords in there: "open" and "choice".
But at the end of the day no matter how you spin it, guess who wins in customer satisfaction?

And as Skika mentioned what does it have to do with this thread?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:32 AM   #24
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Are you still using/syncing your first gen 5GB Firewire iPod (or know of anyone)? Besides being technologically outdated (software and hardware) the lithium ion's won't last that long.

About 6 years would be more realistic for long term (and even then you will be WAY behind on software and will only get a couple of hours per charge).
I still have a working 2002 2nd gen 20GB iPod. Battery life is down to a couple hours but it still works.
PBG4 Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 06:12 PM   #25
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Why the iPod comparisons? Ones a music player (which doesn't depend on processor speed and power), and ones essentially a computer (iPad) which DOES depend on operating system and processor.

You're fooling yourself if you think a iPad 1 is going to last until 2020.

Realistically no one can say since its a new market (as far as breaking into the mainstream). Though I venture to guess 2 1/2 - 3 years sounds about right to me.
iEvolution is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad