Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:02 PM   #1
iAlwaysKnowIt
macrumors newbie

Exclamation "Service Battery" Warning

Hi,

I've had my MacBook Pro 13-inch for about just over a year. And two days ago, when I clicked the battery icon in my top toolbar, there was a message that said "Service Battery" and a little caution sign beside it. I was a little startled by this so I restarted my computer and the message was gone from the battery icon dropdown list. However, for these past couple of days, I have noticed a really limited performance for the battery life. At 100%, the computer lasts about 6-7 hours on the display time left display. Before, it used to be around 10 hours when I'm not using it intensely.

I have only gone through 375 charge cycles and my computer is fairly new - with only over a year. I don't use it that much and I am very confused on what to do. If you have any advice, please share it.

Thanks in advance.
iAlwaysKnowIt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:03 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Reset the SMC. If the problem still persists, have Apple check to see if your battery is defective. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:09 PM   #3
TheJing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAlwaysKnowIt View Post
Before, it used to be around 10 hours when I'm not using it intensely.

Thanks in advance.
10 hours?! Which model do you have?
TheJing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:26 PM   #4
iAlwaysKnowIt
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJing View Post
10 hours?! Which model do you have?
Maybe I was exaggerating with the 10 hours. But when I have my Airport off and my screen set to a low-ish brightness and I am simply working on a Pages document, the time left says 10-12 hours which is quite amazing. Now the time doesn't seem to get past 7 hours - even at 100%

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Reset the SMC. If the problem still persists, have Apple check to see if your battery is defective. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
Thanks for replying. I actually just did reset the SMC following the instructions that include, "On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time", since I have the late MacBook Pro. I don't know if this will fix the battery problem though. I will just have to wait and see.

It is really unexpected for this to happen since I usually complete one charge cycle per-day, I shut down my computer everyday and for the fact that I have only had my MacBook Pro for just over a year. I really hope this would solve my problem. Or I guess I will need a replacement battery.
iAlwaysKnowIt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro