Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:19 PM   #1
igmolinav
macrumors 6502a

Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Hi,

As I was in a small photo fair in Germany, I found out about a tripod company called Induro. In Germany, Induro tripods and Profoto lighting have the same distributor.

One interesting fact about Induro tripods is that they cost a fraction of the Gitzo tripods.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...14_Tripod.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...aveler_6x.html

Is it still worth it to get a Gitzo tripod ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!
igmolinav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Edge100
macrumors 68000

I have an Induro CT-214. It's been a great tripod. No complaints.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:20 PM   #3
mackmgg
macrumors 65816

I wouldn't consider those two tripods you linked to on the same level, so it's not really a fair comparison. The Induro is only $100, but it's 4kg, which is a lot to carry around everywhere. The Gitzo is carbon fiber, so it's just as sturdy as the Induro (if not more), while only weighing one kilogram.
mackmgg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:16 AM   #4
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackmgg View Post
The Induro is only $100, but it's 4kg, which is a lot to carry around everywhere.
You're looking at load capacity. The induro only weighs two pounds. That being said induro is not very sturdy at all. The gitzo you linked isn't one of their sturdiest if you're using long lenses or really slow shutter speeds. Actually Gitzo has a rating system that works pretty well if you look at their site. It suggests tripods based on the maximum focal length you're using rather than on load capacity simply so it can suggest something that will handle the appropriate amount of torque. Both of those are fairly light duty tripods. They aren't meant for 300mm lenses. Gitzo also has some aluminum models.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy but the Induro, but they are different products. Really good tripods are either expensive as hell or really heavy. You should do some research so you at least understand the differences better. Two pounds of aluminum isn't going to make for a very stable legset. Either of those may buckle a bit. The induro that the other poster likes is an entirely different class of tripod from the one you're viewing.

Last edited by thekev; Nov 26, 2011 at 02:16 AM.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 07:10 AM   #5
igmolinav
macrumors 6502a

Hi,

What attracted me to the Gitzo among other things is its
folded length and its weight, taking into account that it
may not be very short at full length. I have other tripod
that goes above the 6 feet, (or 2 m.). This carbon tripod
is 59" tall, (149 cm.). I hope any of these tripods are able
to stand solid at full length. Many tripods shake quite a bit.

My main purpose for using this is macro photography,
including shots of small to medium products; and single
and group portraits. Because of the height of the tripod I
may not be able to do a "neck and head" portrait if the
person is standing, but it is ok. I'll crop sometimes from the
larger pictures. However, portability is nice. Very cool would
be for me to be able to take the tripod with me on board of
an airplane. For macro photography I am not using lenses
longer than 135 mm. I am also using a wide angle zoom.

The most similar Induro carbon tripod, (just the legs), I
found does not come on the cheap side either:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...14_Tripod.html

The one I previously indicated from Induro is 18.1", (46 cm.),
and can withstand 8.8 lbs., (or 4 Kg.). Minus the head,
it leaves around 7.8 lbs., (around 3.2 Kg.). That may still
be ok for a camera as heavy as a 5D or D700 plus a lens.
Any of those cameras are less than two pounds. So,
the remaining 6.8 punds for a medium sized macro lens or
wide angle zoom may still be ok. I use a Nikon D50.

I am still very intrigued why the Gitzo is more expensive,
is it the carbon, is it the brand name ??

Thank you again, kind regards,

P.S. A 19" to 20" tripod can still be taken inside a plane, can't it ??

Last edited by igmolinav; Nov 26, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:03 AM   #6
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by igmolinav View Post
P.S. A 19" to 20" tripod can still be taken inside a plane, can't it ??
I've had to check big aluminum ones before. Bleh... I think it depends on the airline. I know a lot of people do get them included in carry on, but I seem to go a bit over the carry on limit no matter what so I'm always pushing it. Carbon fiber is good. You get a much nicer weight to stability ratio if it's well constructed. Specifically for macro work, and especially if you're using a somewhat long lens, I would personally consider a sturdier model. Macro stuff can be annoying just because the smallest movement can make such a difference. I assume you're locking your mirror already, but heavier camera bodies (1ds series, Nikon D3x, or one of the medium formats) tend to have heavy shutters, as in it has to absorb a bit of vibration even with the mirror locked.

Something I need to explain is interpreting load ratings. In practice, the mentioned max load rating isn't the kind of weight you'd want to put on such a tripod if you expect perfect stability, and there is absolutely no standard between manufacturers on how this is calculated. I think Gitzo might go a bit on the conservative side compared to some of the others, but even then if I was calculating via manufacturer specs on such a unit, I'd double the weight estimate of what I expect to place on the legset. This is a somewhat conservative estimate. You don't want the legs to bow when you're making adjustments, if you're down low (mentioning just in case), or if you have to use weights on the center during windy conditions.

Just overall I don't trust manufacturer specs. Gitzo does publish data for a lot of tripods on recommendations for maximum focal length to be used with whatever legset. With tripods I think it really really pays to test your gear on them. The ones that are worth using are pretty expensive. Did you already pick out a tripod head? If you go for a ball head make sure it doesn't creep when you tighten it down. They are one of the quickest types to adjust, but the small ones are awful. Tripods are incredibly expensive if you want a good one, but they can outlast many computer purchases .

I just re-read your second post. Considering your gear, I wouldn't go lighter on tripods than the Gitzo or the heavier Induro. You really should google this and see that Gitzo though. I haven't checked out the Induro, but Series 1 tripods aren't really the height of Gitzo's excellence. You'd have to see one up close. There are a lot of discussions on this stuff, and it really sucks buying too light of a tripod. The one thing I can say with confidence is that the $100 aluminum Induro legset will not feel sturdy once you place your gear on it (refer to what I mentioned about how manufacturers lack a decent standard for weight ratings).

I hope this helps .... but seriously do you have a camera shop in your area? You'd see what I mean even just playing around with one.

Last edited by thekev; Nov 26, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:58 AM   #7
igmolinav
macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I still have an aluminum tripod from Gitzo whose
maximum load capacity is around 17 lbs, or 8 Kg.
With that tripod I have used the more or less the
same camera and lens outfit I mentioned above.
Before and after the purchase I played with it as
much as possible. The store I bought from at the
time was not close from home. This time, I am
fortunate enough to have a store close by. I hope
they have something similar to that of the link.
This time, because the tripod is much lighter, it
is indispensable to try it thoroughly. In spite of the
manufacturer's specifications, one should try things
out, specially when the tripod is light. That way,
one does not get (m)any surprises later on and
one realizes if it is the right tripod to keep.

Thank you, kind regards,

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography