Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:42 AM   #1
penguy
macrumors 6502

large file size for some using aTV2 settings?

I'm still new at ripping/encoding, but I've completed about 50 of my DVDs at this point...

so here's my question...

looking back at the file sizes of those encoded using TV2 settings, I found one that is surprisingly large, the Looney Tunes Golden Collection, vol 4. The file size is 2.9 GB with a bit rate of 160 and a total bit rate of 3575...and a running time of 1hr46min.

Most of the movies I've encoded have ended up with a total bit rate of 1400-1700, and the file sizes are less than 2gb. Could I have just hit the wrong preset? Does handbrake leave any indication of the preset used to encode? or is there something about particular DVDs that cause you to end up with a larger file size?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:31 PM   #2
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

EDIT: Presuming your using HandBrake ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguy View Post
Does handbrake leave any indication of the preset used to encode?
Yes, in the individual activity log for that encode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguy View Post
or is there something about particular DVDs that cause you to end up with a larger file size?
The preset uses constant quality encoding. Noisy and grainy sources will tend to blow up bitrate. Clean sources ... not so much. It wouldn't be that odd for a an older grainy source. Maybe re-encode it at an rf of about 22 or 23 and see if it looks as good but you will get a smaller file size and bitrate.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:38 PM   #3
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

I have seen this too, glad to hear it was the film grain, which is what I assumed.

The film Pi on DVD which was originally filmed on grainy black and white 16mm film jumped to over 3GB with the AppleTv 2 preset.
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:10 PM   #4
murph1134
macrumors newbie

Personally, I use the original Apple TV settings if I am ripping a DVD - I can't notice a difference and it comes in at about half the file size.

Try doing a 10 min clip using both the old Apple TV and the ATV2 settings and compare, see if it makes a difference to you. If not use the old Apple TV settings and save the space.
murph1134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:14 AM   #5
penguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1134 View Post
Personally, I use the original Apple TV settings if I am ripping a DVD - I can't notice a difference and it comes in at about half the file size.

Try doing a 10 min clip using both the old Apple TV and the ATV2 settings and compare, see if it makes a difference to you. If not use the old Apple TV settings and save the space.
Thanks, I'll try that on the next one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
EDIT: Presuming your using HandBrake ....

Yes, in the individual activity log for that encode.

The preset uses constant quality encoding. Noisy and grainy sources will tend to blow up bitrate. Clean sources ... not so much. It wouldn't be that odd for a an older grainy source. Maybe re-encode it at an rf of about 22 or 23 and see if it looks as good but you will get a smaller file size and bitrate.
thanks...I tried 23, and the file size dropped by almost half, but I cannot tell the difference on my 42"
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:56 AM   #6
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1134 View Post
Hmm, on a dvd source the atv 2 preset should return the smaller file size, it uses more advanced compression options which the atv 1 cannot decode. Something seems strange that on the exact same source you are getting half the file size with the atv 1 preset than the atv2 preset.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater