Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:32 PM   #1
JoeShades
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Williamstown, NJ
Stream Quality

For the past few days anytime i watch any HD content the picture after a few seconds goes right to standard quality. thought maybe a problem with HDMI cable but i switched cables and no change. I am wireless but i have a good connection and have never had a problem in the past 7 months since buying the Apple tv 2. I also thought since i mostly only use netflix for HD streams it was a problem with them but then i tried the NHL and MLB and the trailers and the same thing happens. Is there anyone else with this problem
JoeShades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Airforcekid
macrumors 65816
 
Airforcekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShades View Post
For the past few days anytime i watch any HD content the picture after a few seconds goes right to standard quality. thought maybe a problem with HDMI cable but i switched cables and no change. I am wireless but i have a good connection and have never had a problem in the past 7 months since buying the Apple tv 2. I also thought since i mostly only use netflix for HD streams it was a problem with them but then i tried the NHL and MLB and the trailers and the same thing happens. Is there anyone else with this problem
It's not your HDMI cable.

First change your DNS server opendns or google DNA can geo locate for the best quality stream.

Second switch to a wired network if DNS change shows no change.

Third if no change run speed test.net and ping test.net to make sure your connection is truley sufficient you need 3mbps area for HD.
__________________
"The answer to 1984 is 1776" Google Infowars to learn more or search Endgame on YouTube
Airforcekid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:59 PM   #3
JoeShades
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Williamstown, NJ
really no way to get a wired connection.
connection is fine 25Mbps wired and usually around 20 on speed tests on my wireless laptop.

i will try the DNS thing but if my connection is fine is that really going to make a difference, everything was fine until two days ago
JoeShades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:12 PM   #4
szolr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforcekid View Post
Second switch to a wired network if DNS change shows no change.
It so happens the TV2 doesn't have an ethernet port or whatever. It's 802.11n compatible and is designed to be used in conjunction with Airplay and iTunes streaming.

So switching to a wired network isn't an option.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro, 2.3 GHz i5, 4GB RAM | 24" iMac, 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM | iPhone 3GS | TV2
szolr is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:18 PM   #5
JoeShades
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Williamstown, NJ
It has ethernet
JoeShades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:28 PM   #6
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030
 
tbayrgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by szolr View Post
It so happens the TV2 doesn't have an ethernet port or whatever. It's 802.11n compatible and is designed to be used in conjunction with Airplay and iTunes streaming.

So switching to a wired network isn't an option.
??

See that little port on the right hand side...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step1-tech-appletv-dimensions.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	313836  
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Stream Capture for best compression, smoothness, and best overall quality? cary chilton MacBook Pro 1 Apr 2, 2013 12:43 AM
Max Quality settings on handbrake to Stream to Apple Tv? slickrick298 Apple TV and Home Theater 9 Nov 20, 2012 03:30 AM
am i losing much quality when i use bluetooth to stream music to my car? aliensarecool iPhone 1 Nov 15, 2012 10:21 PM
Stream audio to Apple TV quality SDAVE OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Oct 15, 2012 12:27 PM
Quality of wireless video stream to Apple TV3? Candunc Apple TV and Home Theater 1 Jul 19, 2012 11:31 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC