Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:32 PM   #1
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

Stream Quality

For the past few days anytime i watch any HD content the picture after a few seconds goes right to standard quality. thought maybe a problem with HDMI cable but i switched cables and no change. I am wireless but i have a good connection and have never had a problem in the past 7 months since buying the Apple tv 2. I also thought since i mostly only use netflix for HD streams it was a problem with them but then i tried the NHL and MLB and the trailers and the same thing happens. Is there anyone else with this problem
JoeShades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Airforcekid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShades View Post
For the past few days anytime i watch any HD content the picture after a few seconds goes right to standard quality. thought maybe a problem with HDMI cable but i switched cables and no change. I am wireless but i have a good connection and have never had a problem in the past 7 months since buying the Apple tv 2. I also thought since i mostly only use netflix for HD streams it was a problem with them but then i tried the NHL and MLB and the trailers and the same thing happens. Is there anyone else with this problem
It's not your HDMI cable.

First change your DNS server opendns or google DNA can geo locate for the best quality stream.

Second switch to a wired network if DNS change shows no change.

Third if no change run speed test.net and ping test.net to make sure your connection is truley sufficient you need 3mbps area for HD.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:59 PM   #3
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

really no way to get a wired connection.
connection is fine 25Mbps wired and usually around 20 on speed tests on my wireless laptop.

i will try the DNS thing but if my connection is fine is that really going to make a difference, everything was fine until two days ago
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:12 PM   #4
szolr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforcekid View Post
Second switch to a wired network if DNS change shows no change.
It so happens the TV2 doesn't have an ethernet port or whatever. It's 802.11n compatible and is designed to be used in conjunction with Airplay and iTunes streaming.

So switching to a wired network isn't an option.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:18 PM   #5
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

It has ethernet
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:28 PM   #6
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by szolr View Post
It so happens the TV2 doesn't have an ethernet port or whatever. It's 802.11n compatible and is designed to be used in conjunction with Airplay and iTunes streaming.

So switching to a wired network isn't an option.
??

See that little port on the right hand side...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step1-tech-appletv-dimensions.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	313836  
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater