Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
For the past few days anytime i watch any HD content the picture after a few seconds goes right to standard quality. thought maybe a problem with HDMI cable but i switched cables and no change. I am wireless but i have a good connection and have never had a problem in the past 7 months since buying the Apple tv 2. I also thought since i mostly only use netflix for HD streams it was a problem with them but then i tried the NHL and MLB and the trailers and the same thing happens. Is there anyone else with this problem :confused:

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
For the past few days anytime i watch any HD content the picture after a few seconds goes right to standard quality. thought maybe a problem with HDMI cable but i switched cables and no change. I am wireless but i have a good connection and have never had a problem in the past 7 months since buying the Apple tv 2. I also thought since i mostly only use netflix for HD streams it was a problem with them but then i tried the NHL and MLB and the trailers and the same thing happens. Is there anyone else with this problem :confused:

It's not your HDMI cable.

First change your DNS server opendns or google DNA can geo locate for the best quality stream.

Second switch to a wired network if DNS change shows no change.

Third if no change run speed test.net and ping test.net to make sure your connection is truley sufficient you need 3mbps area for HD.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
really no way to get a wired connection.
connection is fine 25Mbps wired and usually around 20 on speed tests on my wireless laptop.

i will try the DNS thing but if my connection is fine is that really going to make a difference, everything was fine until two days ago

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Second switch to a wired network if DNS change shows no change.

It so happens the :apple:TV2 doesn't have an ethernet port or whatever. It's 802.11n compatible and is designed to be used in conjunction with Airplay and iTunes streaming.

So switching to a wired network isn't an option.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It so happens the :apple:TV2 doesn't have an ethernet port or whatever. It's 802.11n compatible and is designed to be used in conjunction with Airplay and iTunes streaming.

So switching to a wired network isn't an option.

??

See that little port on the right hand side...

Attachments

• step1-tech-appletv-dimensions.jpeg
    step1-tech-appletv-dimensions.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 63
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.