Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

me43

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2011
What do you think that apple will change or add in iOS 6 and what do you want them to change? What do you want in the iOS 5.X updates?

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
windowed apps would be cool for the ipad. Little more of the actual desktop computer feel- have a youtube video playing in one corner while being able to write an email or text in the other part of the screen.

edit: this would obviously be an iOS 6 thing.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
windowed apps would be cool for the ipad. Little more of the actual desktop computer feel- have a youtube video playing in one corner while being able to write an email or text in the other part of the screen.

This. Resizable windows for apps would be cool.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis

That would only work on a retina display. The current iPad resolution is too low.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Apple is trying to get rid of that UI. It's evident in Lion.

I'm not saying that the windowed format will ever leave desktop computers, but more and more netbook and tablets are going to be going the way of iOS.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
My #1 wish:

Get rid of that stupid half a$$ed implementation of a Notification Centre (which doesn't even work properly on the Lock Screen - calendar events and weather don't show on the lock screen), then hire David Ashman, and implement LOCK INFO as the new notification centre!!!!

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006

This, paired with Mission Control, would be perfect.

Swipe up with four fingers and have all of your fullscreen apps on the top with your current app or desktop in the center.

PJ.

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
When you use the five fingered multi gesture to close an app, it would be good if that closed it down totally rather having to close it be using the tapping home screen and press the no entry. In fact that would be good. Pressing home partly closes it, multi fingered gesture closes it totally.

PJ

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
The multitasking menu should be the hub of all notifications and also minor settings like contrast, volume, bluetooth, and wifi. In iPad, it should be like mission control but in iPhone, it should be a bit like cover flow. And in the normal desktop, allow alpha icons and add dashboard for widgets. And in the bar at the top, allow third-part apps to make custom statuses like in Mac, and also show a number for new notifications. Lastly, add support for downloading files in Safari

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I'd like a more Lion-esque experience... especially when using an iPad.

Gestures to swipe between apps or open launch pad, etc. That'd be nice. I'm just growing tired of the same old look since '07, ya' know? But if it works, it works, I suppose.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Currently playing music to a playlist is my #1 request.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005

I don't care how it's implemented, but I would really like the ability to switch away from a video stream without breaking the stream. For example watching a game with the WatchESPN app, and be able to switch to Safari to comment on the game in a forum I frequent, keep the audio playing the whole time, and switch back to the video stream without a hiccup. This is one area where iOS really falls short relative to traditional OSes - watching some sort of video and texting/emailing/forum posting simultaneously.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I'd like a more Lion-esque experience... especially when using an iPad.

Gestures to swipe between apps or open launch pad, etc. That'd be nice. I'm just growing tired of the same old look since '07, ya' know? But if it works, it works, I suppose.

The iPad already has that with iOS 5. 4 fingers right and left to switch apps, 4 fingers up to open the multitasking tray, 4 finger pinch to center to close app (and enter the springboard, or "launch pad")

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
That would only work on a retina display. The current iPad resolution is too low.

You mean the real estate is too low? When the Retina display iPad comes out, the resolution will double, but the real estate will stay the same, just like with the iPhone 4. Retina display won't help with that.

I would like to see:
-Automatic downloading of subscribed podcasts
-Radio in the iPad music app
-Developer Widget support for notification center.
-Live icons (but with strict App Store guidelines, to prevent the springboard from becoming a sea of animated crap.)
-Weather, calendar in lock screen
-Set any music track to an alarm or ringtone.
-FB integration ala Twitter
-Better ways for Apps to share data and files

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
The iPad already has that with iOS 5. 4 fingers right and left to switch apps, 4 fingers up to open the multitasking tray, 4 finger pinch to center to close app (and enter the springboard, or "launch pad")
Ah, oh yeah. Sold my iPad before iOS 5 came out. Silly me :p

It'd be neat if they could incorporate that in one way or another into the iPhone though!

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
Ah, oh yeah. Sold my iPad before iOS 5 came out. Silly me :p

It'd be neat if they could incorporate that in one way or another into the iPhone though!

I would imagine that apple is working on it...obviously 4 fingered gestures wont work on iPhone. Knowing apple, they're brainstorming ways to implement it as perfectly as possible before they release it

also, on an unrelated note, macrumors has added quote notifications! I've been wanting this for a while, and just noticed it with this reply.

----------

I seem to recall computer monitors with VGA resolution managed windowed applications quite nicely

they weren't 9.5" screens though. However, I do believe the iPad should be able to handle it quite well (iPhone apps look fine, so why not windowed apps?) Perhaps not true windowed apps...that design concept just doesnt seem like it'd apply well to tablets.

However, if you look at how windows 8 is handling "windowed" apps on tablets, its really nice...a swipe over from the side snaps in another app, which you can then adjust the size of, so you have 2 columns. Perhaps you have your browser going, and snap in your twitter feed or a chat app. It looks pretty slick and I can't wait to get my hands on it. It doesn't seem like it'd work too great for more than 2 apps at once, but on a tablet, 2 seems like plenty. 3 would just get cluttered, and frankly wouldnt provide much benefit

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Another thing I'd like to see is a keyboard which lets you add numbers by long pressing some of the letter keys like android has. It's so much quicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.