Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 23, 2005, 03:35 PM   #1
Majglow
macrumors newbie

My powermac G5 won't boot up without freezing.

I have a powermac G5 dual 2.0Ghrz with 2GB of ram that I got december 03. All of a sudden about 15 minutes ago, it froze up. I wasn't actually using it at the time but I could hear the G5 fans start to really get going as they do when it freezes. There wasn't anything weird on the screen. It was just non responsive (no message telling me to restart the computer).

I restarted it by holding the powerbutton, and it froze again. This time during bootup with the white screen and the apple. I restarted, it froze again during the login screen. I restarted it froze when I tried to start disk utility. I restarted it froze right after login.

I have OS 10.4.1 on and I haven't really had any trouble with it before 15-20 minutes ago. Any ideas?
Majglow is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 04:06 PM   #2
James Philp

As you restart hold the eject key. Put in your copy of Tiger and close the tray. Reboot again and hold down the option key while you do so. Select the DVD, let it boot from there, and run a permissions repair and volume repair on your HD and see how that goes.
James Philp is offline   0
Old May 23, 2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Majglow
macrumors newbie

That didn't do anything, but unplugging all my external devices did. It hasn't frozen up for a while.

I remembered that I had trouble with my external firewire drive back in panther until I downloaded the latest drivers from the company's site (maxtor). I guess it could be that.
Majglow is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers