Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Majglow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
I have a powermac G5 dual 2.0Ghrz with 2GB of ram that I got december 03. All of a sudden about 15 minutes ago, it froze up. I wasn't actually using it at the time but I could hear the G5 fans start to really get going as they do when it freezes. There wasn't anything weird on the screen. It was just non responsive (no message telling me to restart the computer).

I restarted it by holding the powerbutton, and it froze again. This time during bootup with the white screen and the apple. I restarted, it froze again during the login screen. I restarted it froze when I tried to start disk utility. I restarted it froze right after login.

I have OS 10.4.1 on and I haven't really had any trouble with it before 15-20 minutes ago. Any ideas?

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
As you restart hold the eject key. Put in your copy of Tiger and close the tray. Reboot again and hold down the option key while you do so. Select the DVD, let it boot from there, and run a permissions repair and volume repair on your HD and see how that goes.

Majglow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
That didn't do anything, but unplugging all my external devices did. It hasn't frozen up for a while.

I remembered that I had trouble with my external firewire drive back in panther until I downloaded the latest drivers from the company's site (maxtor). I guess it could be that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.