Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Amadore
macrumors newbie

Can't copy files to external hard drive....

*edit* Just figured it out after a lot of tinkering, please delete.

Mac newbie here!

I just bought a 13 inch MacBook Air, and so far I love it. There are; however, a few things that I have no idea how to do:

I backed up all my PC files to an external hard drive. When I plug in the external hard drive to the Mac I can see them all, but I can't copy any files from my new MacBook Air to the external HD. I downloaded a few videos to the Mac, and when I try to drop them into the external HD I just see a circle with a slash though it. How can I get them onto the drive?

Thank you so much,

Last edited by Amadore; Nov 27, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Amadore is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:11 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadore View Post
I backed up all my PC files to an external hard drive. When I plug in the external hard drive to the Mac I can see them all, but I can't copy any files from my new MacBook Air to the external HD.
That's because the drive is formatted as NTFS.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:28 PM   #3
jackrv
macrumors 6502

On the PC, copy the files off of the External HDD and reformat as ExFat. Copy the files back on, and both PC and Mac will be able to read/write.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:33 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrv View Post
On the PC, copy the files off of the External HDD and reformat as ExFat. Copy the files back on, and both PC and Mac will be able to read/write.
That's one option, but may not be practical, if the OP doesn't have sufficient storage to offload the files. It isn't necessary to reformat the drive to be able to read/write from Mac OS X.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:18 AM   #5
JonasDK
macrumors member

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

This is what I use - Cheap and works flawlessly

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X