Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:48 PM   #1
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Searching for replies to my posts

Greetings,

I'm finding that I'm posting far less now, because I can no longer quickly find responses to my current posts. Makes it difficult to carry on a conversation.

It used to be that I could simply enter my user name in the quick search box, and all posts that had a "quote=kdarling" would show up.

This has stopped working since Nov 18, which apparently is the same time that a new search engine was installed. Therefore, my guess is that the new engine does not catalog the QUOTE= information like the old must have.

Is there an alternative way to find posts that have replied to one of your posts?

Thanks!
Kev
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:49 AM   #2
maflynn

You can also subscribe to threads so you get emailed of when responses come.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Two things. Go to your settings in MR and make sure you are rigged to automatically subscribe the threads you have replied in. Then change your bookmark for the forums to the UserCP link. This will show you threads you are involved in that have replies since your last visit.

http://forums.macrumors.com/usercp.php
Weaselboy is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:20 AM   #4
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Greetings,

I'm finding that I'm posting far less now, because I can no longer quickly find responses to my current posts. Makes it difficult to carry on a conversation.

It used to be that I could simply enter my user name in the quick search box, and all posts that had a "quote=kdarling" would show up.

This has stopped working since Nov 18, which apparently is the same time that a new search engine was installed. Therefore, my guess is that the new engine does not catalog the QUOTE= information like the old must have.

Is there an alternative way to find posts that have replied to one of your posts?

Thanks!
Kev

We're looking into another system to track quotes.

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:54 AM   #5
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Thanks!

I don't want emails, and I sure don't want to search dozens of posts in a thread.

I can only post during my spare time (mostly while things are compiling - grin), and that's really difficult if I cannot instantly find replies to my posts.

Regards,
Kevin
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Thanks!

I don't want emails, and I sure don't want to search dozens of posts in a thread.

I can only post during my spare time (mostly while things are compiling - grin), and that's really difficult if I cannot instantly find replies to my posts.

Regards,
Kevin
If you set it up as I described in my post above you have the option of being notified by email or only in the UserCP area. Like you, I don't want the emails so I just get the notification in UserCP.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:10 PM   #7
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
If you set it up as I described in my post above you have the option of being notified by email or only in the UserCP area. Like you, I don't want the emails so I just get the notification in UserCP.
Thank you sir, I did look at that.

As far as I can tell, it just notifies me of new activity in those threads, from anyone, about anything, correct?

Some of these threads have hundreds of posts, which is why it takes too long to manually walk through and see if anyone has responded to one of my posts.

Am I missing something?

When I could search for "kdarling" anywhere in a message, I would get a list of posts that had quoted me, making it wonderfully easy to carry on a targeted discussion.

Cheers!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Thank you sir, I did look at that.

As far as I can tell, it just notifies me of new activity in those threads, from anyone, about anything, correct?
Ah.... I did understand your request. Yes, the UserCP show all replies in the thread.

You could use a custom Google search like this to search for "quote=kdarling" site:forums.macrumors.com

That seems to get what you are after. Just bookmark my link and click on it when you want an updated search.

Only issue I see is it will not find replies to you where the poster did not include your quote.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:23 PM   #9
justinfreid
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to justinfreid Send a message via AIM to justinfreid Send a message via MSN to justinfreid Send a message via Yahoo to justinfreid Send a message via Skype™ to justinfreid
Quote:

arn
It's absolutely essential. I don't like the idea of the forums becoming input only, I want to read replies to my posts.
Having to wade through tons of responses to see if anyone has, maybe, replied to me defeats the purpose.

[Ha, realized you probably won't see this because you can't track quotes]

Last edited by justinfreid; Dec 4, 2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: check within the brackets
justinfreid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:29 PM   #10
simsaladimbamba
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinfreid View Post

As arn, and many, many others, probably uses the automatic thread subscription once he posted in a thread, he will be aware of any posts he might have to take a look at. And since this is the "Site & Forum Feedback" sub-forum, he will check that too.

I fare very well with thread subscription, though I rarely post in threads with hundreds of posts, unless I accidentally land in one that becomes that big, where such a feature might be more useful.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:14 PM   #11
arn
macrumors god

Quote:
It's absolutely essential. I don't like the idea of the forums becoming input only, I want to read replies to my posts.
Having to wade through tons of responses to see if anyone has, maybe, replied to me defeats the purpose.

it's coming....

arn
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:25 AM   #12
arn
macrumors god

Quote:
Greetings,

Thanks!
Kev
Quote:

It's here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1290315
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:53 PM   #13
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Greetings,

Thanks!
Kev
I tried reporting this as a problem with the new search engine in the thread on the "New Search Engine" and the developer of the new search engine did not like that and said that finding replies to my own posts was not an intended feature of search. I was pretty sure there were lots of us doing this, and I too have found that I don't bother posting nearly as much without the ability to track replies to my posts. Arn took on a project to produce an alternative means to get the posts. Unfortunately, you cannot use this to find folks who quoted you in the past, but at least going forward this should help. I hoping the new system works, but I have to wait for somebody to quote me. So here I have quoted you so it should show up in your replies.
BC2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:57 PM   #14
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2009 View Post
Unfortunately, you cannot use this to find folks who quoted you in the past, but at least going forward this should help.
If you use the search below in Google it will show all replies where you are quoted.

Quote:
"quote=bc2009" site:forums.macrumors.com
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:03 PM   #15
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
If you use the search below in Google it will show all replies where you are quoted.
thanks... never thought of that -- don't know why that never occurred to me (it should have) but it never crossed my mind to use google for that. maybe with everything else google has been doing lately (android, social networking, groupons, documents, competing with amazon prime 2-day shipping) i kinda forgot they had this great search product.

EDIT: Unfortunately, Google's results seemed incomplete and not chronologically ordered.

Last edited by BC2009; Dec 12, 2011 at 02:10 PM.
BC2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:58 PM   #16
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
used to be that I could simply enter my user name in the quick search box, and all posts that had a "quote=kdarling" would show up.
Thanks for posting this question. I have always done the same thing, with 'Show Posts' checked. I often thought there ought to be a better way though, and wondered if there was some hidden feature, of which I was not aware, for tracking replies to your own comments. I guess not! Until now…

Quote:
Thanks Arn! Now if only someone would quote me so I can test it out…
kalsta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:23 AM   #17
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Thanks for posting this question. I have always done the same thing, with 'Show Posts' checked. I often thought there ought to be a better way though, and wondered if there was some hidden feature, of which I was not aware, for tracking replies to your own comments. I guess not! Until now…

Thanks Arn! Now if only someone would quote me so I can test it out…
Done
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:47 PM   #18
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Yay !!

Thanks !!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:01 PM   #19
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

There's another way, too - bookmark the threads you are interested in to your home screen (or on a Mac, maybe to a folder for such things). That way, you can go right to the thread and, later, delete the bookmark when it's no longer of interest.
Arelunde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 09:47 AM   #20
simsaladimbamba
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
There's another way, too - bookmark the threads you are interested in to your home screen (or on a Mac, maybe to a folder for such things). That way, you can go right to the thread and, later, delete the bookmark when it's no longer of interest.
That is quite "complicated", especially as Quote Notifications have been ENABLED for two weeks.
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:37 AM   #21
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
That is quite "complicated", especially as Quote Notifications have been ENABLED for two weeks.
No kidding! Who wants to manage 12,000 bookmarks?
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:40 AM   #22
simsaladimbamba
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Who wants to manage 12,000 bookmarks?
Who can?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 05:24 PM   #23
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

Ya. The notifications are a great addition. I wasn't talking about bookmarking every comment - only those threads that are of interest.
Arelunde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 05:28 PM   #24
simsaladimbamba
In Time-Out

Quote:
Ya. The notifications are a great addition. I wasn't talking about bookmarking every comment - only those threads that are of interest.
That is where subscriptions come in handy.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 05:30 PM   #25
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
That's what I was talking about, as well. I'm currently subscribed to over 12,000 threads, not comments. Plus, bookmarks won't notify you when new posts are made in threads you're interested in. You'd have to open every thread you bookmark, just to see if anything new has been added. It's not a workable solution, at all.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback