Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:43 PM   #1
buntyugo
macrumors newbie

Spilled juice on trackpad. How to clean it?

I spilled the tiniest drop of juice on my trackpad today, but it just happened to land right on the crack between the trackpad and the unibody. My trackpad was completely unresponsive for a little while, but now it is working. However, it is really, really sluggish and doesn't feel nearly as responsive as it was before. The trackpad itself feels a little sticky, too.

Does anybody have any suggestions for cleaning my trackpad? I'd prefer not to have to open my Macbook up, but I will if I have to.
buntyugo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:48 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Spilled Liquid On My Mac or Keyboard
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:55 PM   #3
buntyugo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Thanks, but I'm more curious about how best to clean the surface of the trackpad so it isn't as sticky-feeling, since I think that is the source of the problem.
buntyugo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:01 PM   #4
visim91
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntyugo View Post
Thanks, but I'm more curious about how best to clean the surface of the trackpad so it isn't as sticky-feeling, since I think that is the source of the problem.
Please, for the love of God, shut your computer off & give it time to dry. Then clean with a microfiber cloth and an appropriate electronic-safe sanitary liquid.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-CLNKIT.../dp/B000068P8W
visim91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:54 PM   #5
mfuchs88
macrumors 6502

a cotton ball lightly lightly lightly lightly dampened with rubbing alcohol.
mfuchs88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Macdeez
macrumors member

Everytime I spill something on my MBP I wipe it off with tissue and if there's something dry that got stuck to the trackpad I just damped a tissue and rub it off. Nothing ever happened to my trackpad :S
Macdeez is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:11 PM   #7
thundersteele
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdeez View Post
Everytime I spill something on my MBP I wipe it off with tissue and if there's something dry that got stuck to the trackpad I just damped a tissue and rub it off. Nothing ever happened to my trackpad :S

I just had to laugh. With the amount of people here that are completely OCD with their Macs, this is very refreshing to read.

Once my boss was on his way home, but the laptop was still running some code, and he didn't want to put it to sleep. So he went out in the (light) rain with his MBP open, the lid just bend forward a bit so that the keyboard is slightly protected. Of course it's easier to do that if you know that you can easily afford to buy a new one, I wouldn't do it.
thundersteele is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:44 PM   #8
SurferMan
macrumors 65816

Good idea to take off the back cover and battery (you'll need a tri tip) and remove the track pad assembly and clean it, juice type liquids are not like water which can just evaporate fine. Juice is acidic and it can easily get into the cracks between the trackpad and case causing the pad to glitch and get sticky (not talking about the surface).
SurferMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:17 PM   #9
Macdeez
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersteele View Post

I just had to laugh. With the amount of people here that are completely OCD with their Macs, this is very refreshing to read.

Once my boss was on his way home, but the laptop was still running some code, and he didn't want to put it to sleep. So he went out in the (light) rain with his MBP open, the lid just bend forward a bit so that the keyboard is slightly protected. Of course it's easier to do that if you know that you can easily afford to buy a new one, I wouldn't do it.
I'm not gonna enjoy myself If I keep worrying about spilling something on it, although I am careful but I've spilled enough water/juice/soda on my MBP to know it can take a bit more than a few drops to harm it. And your boss is an idiot hahahah.

Good to know I made you smile
Macdeez is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro