Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
So for the first time ever I've plugged my iPhone into my MacBook Air today to use iTether. Despite my MacBook Air running on battery I notice that my iPhone believes it is getting charged. This is going to drain my MacBook Air's battery :(. I haven't plugged my iPhone in to be charged, I've plugged it in for data.

Is there anyway I can stop this? All I want the USB connection to be doing is transmitting data to/from my iPhone. I want to turn off the 500mA of power that the USB port has, make it unpowered if you see what I mean.

Any ideas?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, that's how most if not all cell phones work. Plug them into a USB port and they'll draw power to charge the battery.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
No, that's how most if not all cell phones work. Plug them into a USB port and they'll draw power to charge the battery.

I know that's how USB works :).

What I'd like to do is tell my MacBook Air "You're running on battery FFS. Don't waste your battery charging the iPhone. Disconnect the +5V pin of your USB port when running on battery."

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I am sure you can get a "special" usb cord that doesn't have the +5V Pin Or have one made (ruined).

I know that's how USB works :).

What I'd like to do is tell my MacBook Air "You're running on battery FFS. Don't waste your battery charging the iPhone. Disconnect the +5V pin of your USB port when running on battery."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.