Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:20 AM   #1
DNAppleGold
macrumors regular

Does Apple Record Siri/Dictation Requests

Our IT department told "that all your dictation and instructions to Siri are recorded and stored by Apple." Can this possible be true? I suppose they are recorded for a moment for processing, but is there really a record?
DNAppleGold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:31 AM   #2
saving107
macrumors 603

I am coping this response (this is not my own)

Siri makes use of NLP(Natural Language Processing) - NLP computing takes significant resources and while the iPhone may be powerful enough to process them, it's likely to drain the battery.

For this reason, Siri application records your commands on your phone & sends it off the servers for processing. The results are returned back to the phone & does the commands.

So to answer, yes, it's part-phone, part-Internet service & it does send data to Apple's servers.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...at-on-my-phone
saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:35 AM   #3
DNAppleGold
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
I am coping this response (this is not my own)

Siri makes use of NLP(Natural Language Processing) - NLP computing takes significant resources and while the iPhone may be powerful enough to process them, it's likely to drain the battery.

For this reason, Siri application records your commands on your phone & sends it off the servers for processing. The results are returned back to the phone & does the commands.

So to answer, yes, it's part-phone, part-Internet service & it does send data to Apple's servers.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...at-on-my-phone
Thanks for the tip. I'd be interested if the requests/dictation are recorded by apple and retained in any meaningful way. (e.g., could Apple look at the history of your queries or dictation). If so, there maybe some privacy issues at play.
DNAppleGold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Small White Car
macrumors G3

It's been repeatedly said that Apple will continue to improv Siri's performance as more people use it.

If that's true I don't see how they could accomplish that WITHOUT saving some percentage of recordings in order to learn where Siri is doing poorly and where it needs improvement.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Stealthipad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAppleGold View Post
Our IT department told "that all your dictation and instructions to Siri are recorded and stored by Apple." Can this possible be true? I suppose they are recorded for a moment for processing, but is there really a record?
Storing what we say is something that Siri and Apple would not ever admit to doing. Could it be done, with out a doubt. I would not say anything that would incriminate yourself.
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Apple is recording everything. If you are harassing Siri in any way Apple has the evidence and it could be used against you! They could easily play back all of your private conversations with your new friend. Be very careful of what you tell Siri......

Let's hope not.
Givmeabrek is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:47 PM   #7
ShionoyaTamaki
macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised if APPLE is storing your voice commands for some period of time if not indefinitely.

Unless they officially state their policy I will assume they do keep it and maybe even tie it to your UUID that can identify who you are.
ShionoyaTamaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:57 PM   #8
pdqgp
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAppleGold View Post
don't know, don't care.
pdqgp is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:35 AM   #9
dave420
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
Storing what we say is something that Siri and Apple would not ever admit to doing. Could it be done, with out a doubt. I would not say anything that would incriminate yourself.
They wouldn't admit to it? I thought it was clearly stated in the privacy terms you have to agree to before enabling Siri.
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:35 AM   #10
dotme
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave420 View Post
They wouldn't admit to it? I thought it was clearly stated in the privacy terms you have to agree to before enabling Siri.
Exactly. It is.
dotme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:59 AM   #11
M Quick
macrumors 6502

Try turning siri off and you'll see exactly what you're iPhone tells you what will happen, read the text that shows up and you'll understand that it records everything on their server just to make it more customized for your private use. If they use it for something else, i wouldn't know, but i don't think so, judging by what the text tells you, it seems simple enough to erase the siri history simply by turning it off and then back on again.

For those who are lazy and don't wanna see the message themselves, here is what it will tell you when you try turning the siri feature off:

"The information Siri uses to respond to your requests will be removed from Apple servers. If you want to use Siri later, it will take time to resend this information."

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone