Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 24, 2005, 11:16 AM   #1
macux
macrumors newbie

New 17" Powerbook has flaky mouse button!

I just got my new 17" PB over the weekend, and immediately noticed that the mouse button doesn't work properly. It seems to have spots that click better than others. Sometimes I click right in the middle of the button, hear the audible click, but the click has no effect. When it does select an item, the connection seems to be intermittent. If I'm dragging something it will suddenly be dropped, if I'm selecting an area it will start and stop selecting repeatedly.

I've also notices that there is a little gap/unevenness where the top surface of the keyboard deck meets the bottom of the pb, right below the mouse button and above the lid release.

The trackpad works fine, it is only the mouse button that has the problem. Is anybody else experiencing this? Should I send it back?
macux is offline   0
Old May 24, 2005, 12:05 PM   #2
Daveway
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Daveway
Try using it with "tapping" on. Its in the mouse preferences. All you have to do is tap the trackpad to click, its much better than pushing the button.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3
hcuar
macrumors 65816

Sounds like you have a problem... I'd call Apple ASAP.
Old May 24, 2005, 01:01 PM   #4
Daveway
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcuar
Sounds like you have a problem... I'd call Apple ASAP.
What I meant was that is the tapping method worked then we would know that it was hardware. Either way Apple should be called, hell, free phone support doesn't last long.
Old May 24, 2005, 01:13 PM   #5
Hugh Jass
macrumors newbie

Taking it back to a physical apple store would be easy. If you bought it online, you get to deal with the joy of apple phone support. Don't have anything breakable around. They'll eventually send you a new computer but you're going to get really pissed in the process.
Hugh Jass is offline   0
Old May 24, 2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Daveway
macrumors 68040

Huge Ass is right, take it to a retail store or authorized reseller if you have one in your area.
Old May 24, 2005, 01:36 PM   #7
macux
macrumors newbie

Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jass
Taking it back to a physical apple store would be easy. If you bought it online, you get to deal with the joy of apple phone support. Don't have anything breakable around. They'll eventually send you a new computer but you're going to get really pissed in the process.
Unfortunately, not only was it bought online, it was bought through my company which I live 2000 miles away from. I'm not looking forward to this process.

FYI the tapping method does work.
macux is offline   0
Old May 24, 2005, 02:00 PM   #8
wide
macrumors 6502a

bring it to your apple store. they'll know you still have a warranty on it (because it's only been four months since the last update, so you have eight months left), and they will fix it for you. no receipt needed.
a dell laptop and a few ipods
wide is offline   0
Old May 24, 2005, 02:07 PM   #9
DickArmAndHarT
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveway
Huge Ass is right, take it to a retail store or authorized reseller if you have one in your area.
i think you mean Hugh Jass...Lol

Sorry bout ur pb problem, join the club, i paid for apple care and after 4 repairs still havent recieved a replacement. Going there for the 6th time soon.
DickArmAndHarT is offline   0
Old May 24, 2005, 02:41 PM   #10
MoparShaha
macrumors 68000

This is a common problem on all the new PowerBooks. Apple switched the trackpad from the older models. You can check out the discussions on Apple's discussion forums. Even if Apple replaces it, you'll most likely get another one with the same problem. It's a design flaw.
MoparShaha is offline   0
Old May 24, 2005, 03:04 PM   #11
Otto Rehhagel
macrumors regular

same problem

I had the exact same problem and it got even worse. I took my 17" powerbook to the applestore, they shipped it to apple. They told me that the memory chip upgrade (additional 512MB chip) was interfering with the trackpad and clicker.

The genius at the genius bar at my local Apple store said that because the laptop is so thin, it is sensitive to any modifications, even memory chip upgrade. They replaced the top aluminum plate (surrounding the keyboard).

Still the same. I had fewer problems with the 12" and 15" trackpads when using those in stores and borrowing a friend's powerbook.
Old May 24, 2005, 11:03 PM   #12
macux
macrumors newbie

Not the trackpad, just the button

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparShaha
This is a common problem on all the new PowerBooks. Apple switched the trackpad from the older models. You can check out the discussions on Apple's discussion forums. Even if Apple replaces it, you'll most likely get another one with the same problem. It's a design flaw.
I've seen threads on trackpad problems, and that's not what I'm having. Tracking works great, even the two finger scrolling bit. It really seems like it is a physical problem with the button, that it just doesn't make contact as well when pressed in certain spots.
macux is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers