Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm looking for a laptop lock cable for my iBook. I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks and don't really want to leave my iBook unlocked in the hotel while I'm gone, because with housekeeping going in and out of the room, plus its New York City which doesn't have the reputation of being the most crime-free place on earth.

Can anyone recommend a lock? I'm not looking for Area 51 security, I know a dedicated theif can still take my laptop, but just a good lock to stop housekeeping or someone who sees a laptop sitting out there. Thanks.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I use a Kensington Microsaver with my PB at work. Easy on, easy off, deters casual thiefs from absconding with my laptop. Works.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I would go ahead and get one, but don't plan on being to safe with it. Kevin Rose posted a video on his website of a guy getting one off with a roll of toilet paper.

The best lock to get would be the one that shuts down and password locks the bios when the lock is yanked. You'll need to check if there is a mac version.

Hugh Jass

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2005
Cupertino, CA
The Kensington Microsaver has the best bang for the buck. It's what I use and is a very nice lock. Street price is $30 to $35 shipped.

It fits my iBook snugly, which is nice. In my experience generic "one lock fits all" (i.e. made for PCs) will work with Apple notebooks but the fit is loose. Getting one made specific for Apple powerbooks and iBooks gives a tighter fit so the lock doesn't move around in the security slot.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Get one of those screamer locks
they are the only ones that work well
they still can be popped off but they will still scream afterwards...
all the others are next to useless,

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Hugh Jass said:
The Kensington Microsaver has the best bang for the buck. It's what I use and is a very nice lock. Street price is $30 to $35 shipped.

It fits my iBook snugly, which is nice. In my experience generic "one lock fits all" (i.e. made for PCs) will work with Apple notebooks but the fit is loose. Getting one made specific for Apple powerbooks and iBooks gives a tighter fit so the lock doesn't move around in the security slot.

Thanks.

Anyone know of any stores that sell the Microsaver? Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA all show nothing on their site and I'd prefer to buy in store if possible.

Thanks.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
lock it in your suit case. if you leave the laptop out and locked it is still a target. however, in a suitcase, it will just be a locked suitcase that won't attract anymore attention than normal.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
i wonder if the people above me are dead
[automerge]1596317463[/automerge]
that would be sad
Not dead, just wondering why the hell you dug up a 15 year old thread I posted my freshman year of college.

Good to see thread subscriptions from the early 2000s still work though.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

LilyRose839

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2020
Not dead, just wondering why the hell you dug up a 15 year old thread I posted my freshman year of college.

Good to see thread subscriptions from the early 2000s still work though.
i was born in 2005 so i was just looking at what people spoke about and stuff lol. cant believe ur still here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.