Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:25 AM   #1
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

Find my iPhone in iCloud (Location Services Turned Off)

I went into iCloud today, to test the find my iPhone feature. (My iPhone next to me, in a WIFI network and 1-2 bars of 3G coverage).

When I tried to find my iPhone, it said that my location services was not turned on. I

I checked my iPhone, went into settings then location services, that was turned on, went down to the "Find my iPhone" portion of location services, that was turned on.

Went into settings then iCloud. "Find my iPhone" was turned on there.

When I turned "Find my iPhone" in the iCloud settings off and on. iCloud.com finally said that my location services was on.

A little concerning for me that I had to do this, in order for iCloud.com to recognize my location services was turned on.

Anyone have an issue like this? Or how to prevent it in the future?
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:43 AM   #2
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormSD View Post

Anyone have an issue like this? Or how to prevent it in the future?
this happened to my iPad, I noticed this over the weekend and I meant to investigate it but I completely forgot about it until now.

And another thing I wanted to check up on was that the week prior my friend lost his iPhone at the gym (fell out of his pocket at some point) and he called me from the gym phone to ask me to track it down, when I logged into iCloud it told me that it was at a house about a mile from the gym.

We tracked it for about 45 minutes and pinpointed it to a house, we knocked on some people's house's to ask if someone had found an iPhone at the gym. Everyone replied no, I conitued to track it and it said it was in that neighborhood. before giving up hope we called the gym, and the woman recognized our voice and said that a house keeper had just turned it in (found it on the floor) so I knew it was at the gym. I decided to try findmyiphone again and it continued to tell me that it was in a neighborhood away from the gym (and nowhere near his house).

This is the fist time that anyone I know has lost an iPhone and had to use this feature, and it failed.
saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:17 AM   #3
fuxl
macrumors member

I noticed that when you're on wifi, the location is not precise.
Living in a sub division, my guess is that lots of houses share the same internet connection (comcast cable in my case), and every body using this connection will show up in the same location.

Not sure if there is a way to proof this though.
fuxl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone