Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I have a tattoo appointment for monday. I really have my heart set on getting this particular tattoo on my forearm, but everyone is telling me not to do it for professional reasons. They tell me to get it on my bicep or tricep. My view on it is that if i work in a professional job, i will be wearing long sleeves. If it's a casual day, i can always cover it with a large bandage or get special makeup designed for covering tattoos. That's the worst case scenario, for all i know i might ultimately end up working for a company that doesn't have a policy against tattoos. They have become more and more socially acceptable in recent years and i truly think i won't have any major employment issues. What do you guys think about this?

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I personally do not like tattoos but it doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks.

If you want it then go for it.

And as far as work goes I think you should be fine. Long sleeves would most likely be worn and even if it's casual day (does that even exist?) I'm sure if you need to cover it up you could with a light long sleeve shirt or like you said some makeup.

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
It's up to you, not anyone else. I have a sleeve done on each arm and a few ring tattoo's and it's a nonissue for me. They're visible when I have short sleeve DEU's on, or when my combats have the sleeves rolled up, but I don't necessarily look any less professional. It's not like you're getting a big "***** YOU" in old english lettering tattooed on your forehead.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I think to some degree it depends on the tattoo. Some appear more professional than others and I think it's a combo of tattoo design, artist's skill, and the person who has the tattoo.

But I think if you're ok with accepting any possible consequences, then I see no reason not to, if it's what you want. Then again, there are some professions where it would matter more than others. A lawyer? Fine, because you'll always be wearing a suit. A doctor? Probably not; scrubs don't hide much. etc.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
It's up to you, not anyone else. I have a sleeve done on each arm and a few ring tattoo's and it's a nonissue for me. They're visible when I have short sleeve DEU's on, or when my combats have the sleeves rolled up, but I don't necessarily look any less professional. It's not like you're getting a big "***** YOU" in old english lettering tattooed on your forehead.

Yeah but in the military tattoos are a non-issue. I don't think the same applies for office jobs. And i'm not even sure what career field i will end up in.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Yeah but in the military tattoos are a non-issue. I don't think the same applies for office jobs. And i'm not even sure what career field i will end up in.

Not true, they are an issue. They can't be in certain locations, and they can't be considered offensive.

I just got out of the Army in September after 12 years.

BTW I am not a fan of tattoos, but they don't really bother me either, unless you have them on your face or neck.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I think to some degree it depends on the tattoo. Some appear more professional than others and I think it's a combo of tattoo design, artist's skill, and the person who has the tattoo.

But I think if you're ok with accepting any possible consequences, then I see no reason not to, if it's what you want. Then again, there are some professions where it would matter more than others. A lawyer? Fine, because you'll always be wearing a suit. A doctor? Probably not; scrubs don't hide much. etc.

Well i definitely don't plan on being a doctor or lawyer. I'm a psych major in college and want to work in substance abuse counseling. But for all i know, i can end up doing something totally different. It's still up in the air, I'm only 22. As for the tattoo and artist, the tattoo will be a DNA double helix with the word "Evolve" written inside it. It will be around 6x3 inches. The artist is very highly rated and a bit pricey, he did my first tattoo and it came out amazing.

----------

Not true, they are an issue. They can't be in certain locations, and they can't be considered offensive.

I just got out of the Army in September after 12 years.

BTW I am not a fan of tattoos, but they don't really bother me either, unless you have them on your face or neck.

Yeah i can definitely understand they can't be offensive, no one wants someone with a swastika tattoo representing this country. What locations are they not allowed to be in? Yeah i don't like face and neck tattoos either. They're particularly trashy, but i personally wouldn't turn someone down for a job if i were in a manager position and they had those types of tattoos.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Yeah i can definitely understand they can't be offensive, no one wants someone with a swastika tattoo representing this country. What locations are they not allowed to be in? Yeah i don't like face and neck tattoos either. They're particularly trashy, but i personally wouldn't turn someone down for a job if i were in a manager position and they had those types of tattoos.

Anything that you can see while in your dress uniform is reason to not allow you in. Some can be waived. basically neck, face, head, hands, and possibly wrist.

Once you are in, then some more may slide.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I think it definitely depends on what you want to do (I know you're not set in stone yet), but I would say that is probably doesn't matter given what you've said.

I think the social stigma surrounding tattoos in the workplace is significantly decreasing, and if you're good enough at what you want to do, some ink on your forearm isn't going to mean anything.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think it could hinder you in the future. As much as I don't see it as a problem, there are still certain people in the business world that are quite conservative about appearance.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I can tell you right now as someone who is in charge of hiring for my department, if you come in and I see tattoos, I won't hire you. If you are able to hide them at the interview and I see them after the fact, you better keep hiding them. If you want to be taken seriously in a grown up world, I suggest you think twice. What's cool at 22 can end up seriously hurting you at 34.

Reactions: Attack Eagle

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
You don't put bumper stickers on Bentleys. ;)

tumblr_livth0yiCh1qz51fzo1_500.jpg

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I can tell you right now as someone who is in charge of hiring for my department, if you come in and I see tattoos, I won't hire you. If you are able to hide them at the interview and I see them after the fact, you better keep hiding them. If you want to be taken seriously in a grown up world, I suggest you think twice. What's cool at 22 can end up seriously hurting you at 34.

What kind of company is this? And why the anti-tattoo policy? Also, what about ear piercings? I have both of my ears pierced, what if i came into an interview with them in?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
What kind of company is this? And why the anti-tattoo policy? Also, what about ear piercings? I have both of my ears pierced, what if i came into an interview with them in?

My place of work has the same policy. It is a restaurant. And it has the same attitude with ear piercings. We want smart looking people working in our restaurant, not people who look like rodents. Even if you're a Chef because the customers can see inside the kitchen.

Tattoos have to be hidden and never ever shown, piercings have to be taken out. If you have one of them awful ear stretcher things, you've got no chance.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
My place of work has the same policy. It is a restaurant. And it has the same attitude with ear piercings. We want smart looking people working in our restaurant, not people who look like rodents. Even if you're a Chef because the customers can see inside the kitchen.

Tattoos have to be hidden and never ever shown, piercings have to be taken out. If you have one of them awful ear stretcher things, you've got no chance.

So people with tattoos and ear piercings all look like rodents? How forward thinking.:rolleyes: and with all due respect, it doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to work in a restaurant.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
So people with tattoos and ear piercings all look like rodents? How forward thinking.:rolleyes: and with all due respect, it doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to work in a restaurant.
Please don't take my post personally. You asked a question and I thought I'd tell you what my place of work expects, to maybe give you a better picture of where would be suitable for you to work in the future. I never said you looked like a rodent, it's just a phrase my boss uses.

Unsure where the dig about intelligence came from. Remind me not to bother replying to your posts in future if you're going to be like that.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Unsure where the dig about intelligence came from. Remind me not to bother replying to your posts in future if you're going to be like that.

It came from your statement that they want "smart looking" people working there. Wasn't a dig at your intelligence.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
It came from your statement that they want "smart looking" people working there. Wasn't a dig at your intelligence.

I guess that is another example of two nations divided by a common language…

Don't people in the US use "smart looking"?
It has bugger all to do with appearing intelligent…
If I say to a guy "You're looking smart today" I mean he is looking nice and neat and tidy and might even be wearing a suit or tie. Even if he is as thick as two bricks.

Just sayin'. ;)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
If the person who posted that is from the UK, then smart means the way you are dressed/presentability more than a measure of one's intelligence.

Also, anything prefaced with 'all due respect' or 'I'm not being sexist/racist' always either have no respect or are extremely sexist/racist.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
If the person who posted that is from the UK, then smart means the way you are dressed/presentability more than a measure of one's intelligence.

To the best of my knowledge, roadbloc is indeed from the UK.

Also, anything prefaced with 'all due respect' or 'I'm not being sexist/racist' always either have no respect or are extremely sexist/racist.

And the OP just proved that for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.