Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:36 AM   #1
SethBoy
macrumors member

Unable to Open Some Email Attachments (PDF files)

On both my iPhone and iPad running 5.0.1, I cannot open many PDF attachments. Some work fine, some don't, and they seem to be consistent between both devices. All these attachments work fine on OS X Lion.

The attachment will download, and once it is completed, it reverts back to the same download icon and then will not open at all. I have searched online for the past hour and can't seem to find someone with the same problem. I have been removing and adding back my Gmail account to no avail.

Anyone can help?
SethBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:12 AM   #2
NetworkerDeluxe
macrumors newbie

Have the same issue. I think this is a bug.

Do you have GMail too? Think is is an IMAP Problem.
Maybe the download of the PDF is not recognized correctly
by the Mail App.

Hope Apple will fix it in a later Release.

Regards
NetworkerDeluxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Ashwood11
macrumors 65816

It maybe a GMail problem. I suggest you contact the developer.
Ashwood11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:08 PM   #4
jmdagesse
macrumors newbie

pdf's attachments wont open up sometimes on I pad

I have an I pad and I get pdf's sent as attachments to my g mail account which is an imap account I open up many emails with pdf's and they come through but some of the pdf attachments wont come through when they are replied too.Someone at work says that he thinks it has something to do with layers or how they are replied to and might have something to do with the version of adobe does this make sense.
jmdagesse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:27 PM   #5
PNutts
macrumors 601

Are the PDFs you can't open from a different source than the ones you can? For example, we have systems that generate PDF files but they are not 100% compatible with PDF readers and e-mail scanners. Many applications generate PDFs now and some don't do it well.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:02 AM   #6
notoriouscwe
macrumors newbie

Set up gmail as an exchange account? May be a long shot but easy enough to try...
iPhone 5S 16 GB Silver
notoriouscwe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 07:06 AM   #7
FlickFrench
macrumors newbie

I had similar problems, in the end I logged in to my gmail account via safari. From there I could get the mail with the PDF attachment and open in adobe reader. (a free app which I downloaded).
The app Adobe reader says to open PDF just click the small arrow icon in mail and click 'open in' adobe reader. However this isn't possible via mail browser on iPhone4. The small arrow doesn't exist. It is seen when I logged in to my email account through safari however.
I can now view all my mail attachments on the adobe app which is good as I don't need to keep going back and forth into safari to view stuff.
It's a pain to have to go via safari to view PDF attachments instead of direct through mail browser though, so i hope this can be sorted. I believe the previous comments are correct, it's a fault with the mail syncing.
Hope this helps 😄
FlickFrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier