Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt90036

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
okay im moving to New York after doing med school in the carribean. I need an iPhone for my rotations and to look up stuff. Anybody knows what is the cheapest iPhone contract and at what company? I am refusing to pay $90 per month.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You should check and see if you have access to any corporate / group discounts, like through an alumni association at your college, first. This would make the biggest difference. I have a FAN discount at AT&T via my alumni association and that makes it drastically cheaper than any other iPhone plan here. It's actually about 5% cheaper than when I was using T-Mobile with an unlocked original iPhone.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
If you already have a iPhone, you could look at prepaid options like H20, Jolt, or Straight Talk.

For instance, H20 just announced today a plan that's $55/month (inclusive of taxes) and has unlimited talk, text and 1GB of data.

matt90036

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
I am going to be on call so I need to have 100% phone. iPod touch won't work for me for that reason.
No, I don't have iPhone.

beret9987

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
San Francisco, CA
How much data do you feel comfortable having? If you could be on wi-fi all the time, then 200MB on AT&T(or 300MB on Verizon) would be fine. Otherwise, you would need 2GB of data.

Sprint is typically the cheapest for the money unless you're getting the smaller data plans on the other carriers. Really up to you at that point though. I'm on Sprint personally and don't have any problems with data speeds/service. I'm in California, but travel frequently to Seattle as well if that helps you any.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
How much data do you feel comfortable having? If you could be on wi-fi all the time, then 200MB on AT&T(or 300MB on Verizon) would be fine. Otherwise, you would need 2GB of data.

Sprint is typically the cheapest for the money unless you're getting the smaller data plans on the other carriers. Really up to you at that point though. I'm on Sprint personally and don't have any problems with data speeds/service. I'm in California, but travel frequently to Seattle as well if that helps you any.

does verizon have 300mb data plan available for iphone?

climber20

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
My med school offered a 22% discount through verizon. With the lowest level calling plan at $39, plus a $30 data plan for 2 gigs, plus a $10 text plan, minus the 22% off is around $65 a month once you add taxes and fees.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
okay im moving to New York after doing med school in the carribean. I need an iPhone for my rotations and to look up stuff. Anybody knows what is the cheapest iPhone contract and at what company? I am refusing to pay $90 per month.

i thought you despise contracts?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Anybody knows what is the cheapest iPhone contract and at what company? I am refusing to pay $90 per month.
Is cheapest the only criteria? Minutes don't matter? Messages don't matter?

Can you not look at the sites of the carriers that offer the iPhone? There aren't that many and you easily answer your own question much faster by looking at the published plans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.