Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Okay. So I'd never even touched a Mac in the past ten years or so. However, lately, I decided to get a new laptop. Based on word of mouth alone, I plan on getting an iBook.

My girlfriend and I were out shopping today (I was looking for platform boots), and I saw a giant white apple logo. "Holy ****, they have an Apple Store here!" And with that I ran off.

Well, the store was awfully empty looking, but I suppose that goes along with Apple's minimalism. I practically lunged at the 12" iBook that I was planning on getting. Sexy machine, I must admit ... though I really had no idea how to use the OS yet, so I was so confused ^^; Will they teach me the basics of the OS if I ask them? Keyboard was nice, but a bit different layout than I'm used to ... I'm sure I could adapt in a few days. OS X is Jesus-looking. Love the dock.

And then I saw it ... that monstrous 20" iMac. That giant behemoth of a machine that I want to have sex with. My girlfriend was actually scared of the thing. I also got the chance to use the Apple one button mouse, I LOVE it, definitely getting one.

And believe it or not, this was also my first time seeing an iPod. I ... I'm in love. It's so beautiful and smooth to the touch.

These bastards are going to take all my money.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Tamer Brad said:
Okay. So I'd never even touched a Mac in the past ten years or so. However, lately, I decided to get a new laptop. Based on word of mouth alone, I plan on getting an iBook.

My girlfriend and I were out shopping today (I was looking for platform boots), and I saw a giant white apple logo. "Holy ****, they have an Apple Store here!" And with that I ran off.

Well, the store was awfully empty looking, but I suppose that goes along with Apple's minimalism. I practically lunged at the 12" iBook that I was planning on getting. Sexy machine, I must admit ... though I really had no idea how to use the OS yet, so I was so confused ^^; Will they teach me the basics of the OS if I ask them? Keyboard was nice, but a bit different layout than I'm used to ... I'm sure I could adapt in a few days. OS X is Jesus-looking. Love the dock.

And then I saw it ... that monstrous 20" iMac. That giant behemoth of a machine that I want to have sex with. My girlfriend was actually scared of the thing. I also got the chance to use the Apple one button mouse, I LOVE it, definitely getting one.

And believe it or not, this was also my first time seeing an iPod. I ... I'm in love. It's so beautiful and smooth to the touch.

These bastards are going to take all my money.

Never seen an ipod? What rock have you been under for the past 5 years?!
:eek:

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
mfacey said:

I don't have friends who have money to be throwing at iPods! :p

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
This is the feeling I used to get going to Sharper Image back in the day. Now Radio shack has more high tech stuff than sharper image. The Apple store IS the NEW sharper image to me. I just love that place. Sales is all in the delivery baby.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
So, which Kool-Aid did they give you, the cherry or the grape flavored? ;)

I remember the first time I walked into an Apple Store. I was already a long time Mac user, but I was still blown away by all that Mac goodness on display in the clean style of the store. After living with CompUSA Mac "displays" for so long, it was a breath of fresh air.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I remember when I rediscovered Macs a few years ago (we had Macs when I was a kid).

I remember buying my Power Mac - the smell, the shiny doors, the vents.

Then a Cinema Display.

Then an iBook.

Then a G5 iMac.

Then a 20GB iPod.

Then a 40GB iPod photo........

Once they get you, it's all over.

They gave me the grape Kool-Aid™

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
timdeleware said:
i love to hear people being turned on by the one-button mouse

i keep getting scared they're gonna take it away

They can have my one-button mouse when they pry it from my cold, dead hand.

(Thanks G. Gordon P-Diddy)

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
mfacey said:
Well, although I have obviously seen iPods, I hadn't touched one until my brother bought one about three months ago. Before that I was "yeah, yeah. What can it do that my walkman can't?"

As soon as I touched his, I was taken in by it's smooth good looks, surprisingly solid heft, the way it fitted my hand perfectly, the easy interface. I had to have one.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Tamer Brad said:

If you really want to see a machine behemoth of a machine check out one of the powermacs with a 30inch display hooked up to it. Sooo sexy those 30 inch displays, *drooooools* its quite possibly the sexiest piece of computer equipment i have ever see. I just want my local apple store to set up a powermac with two 30 inchers hooked up, as that would be *droooools some more* :D :p :D

OnaMacSince1989

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2003
Columbus, OH
lordmac said:
If you really want to see a machine behemoth of a machine check out one of the powermacs with a 30inch display hooked up to it. Sooo sexy those 30 inch displays, *drooooools* its quite possibly the sexiest piece of computer equipment i have ever see. I just want my local apple store to set up a powermac with two 30 inchers hooked up, as that would be *droooools some more* :D :p :D

You should see this display playing an HD Movie Trailer via QuickTime 7 nearly full screen (have to upgrade to QT Pro to go completely full screen). Played the Batman Begins trailer on it the other day at my local store and WOW! Looks great on my 20" iMac too, but that 30" is piece of art! :p

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
Ah yes, the Apple bug...

First it was the Powerbook, what a great machine, I could use an ipod with this thing pretty well.

- 3rd gen 20 gig

then, I need more power...

- g5 dual 2ghz

then, hmm wireless airport you say

- airport express

nifty webcam, this thing is sweet!

- iSight

then, look, the 23" new CD is awful nice

- 1st 23"

then, time to upgrade ipod

- 4th gen 40 gig

then, whoop, I think I should get another display

- 2nd 23" CD

now I have no money left. Damn apple

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I just got a Dual 2.0 PowerMac G5 yesterday to compliment the many macs I have owned in the last two years as a mac user and I must say that this machine is a work of art! The beauty of it left me speechless when I took the monster out of the box. I thought to myself "now THAT is a computer" haha. I took the side door off to have a peek inside and was greeted with a clear plastic cover that protects the insides and helps regulate airflow. Even the internal workings are a thing of beauty. Everything about this computer has that extra detail that sets it aprt from the others... all the way down to the power cord :p . I am in love with the look and feel of this computer... and what a speed demon it is too! I ordered another Gig of RAM for it just about an hour ago. I think I have finally, after going through many computers, found one I truely love. I hope it last me many many years :D

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
I really need an iPod now. I was very pleased with how it felt, especially the weight and the metal backing. The click wheel is nicer than I imagined.

And the one button mouse is SEX.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
mfacey said:
i still remember when an airport employee asked me "what the hell is that?" in reference to my 1G 5gb iPod. :D

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
Tamer Brad said:
I really need an iPod now. I was very pleased with how it felt, especially the weight and the metal backing. The click wheel is nicer than I imagined.

And the one button mouse is SEX.
you do not like the one button mouse, trust me.

Xiabelle

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
All I can say is I'm glad that my office is likely moving before the Apple Store opens. I work right across the street from a mall -- seriously, I walk across the access road that surrounds it and through the new fancy restaurant courtyard and I'm there. apple store, 500 yards away, and visible as you walk in.

I'm saving up for a Powerbook, and in love with the imacs. Not in love with the mice, though, but that's because I have early stage RSI so need my split keyboards and nice supportive ergo mice. Even if the mice are cool as hell.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
You're not really hooked until the muse of purchase and use of Macs goes beyond hormonal and gets in to your head. Now, that's love! :D
X

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
lordmac said:

NO! Don't even SUGGEST that people look at that 30" screen! I'm still in withdrawal after seeing a photo of how much information could be displayed on it. It's like getting out of your VW and noticing you've parked next to a Lamborghini... nothing will ever satisfy you again.

threeiz

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2004
It's nice to know I am not the only one...

I got my first mac last September an eMac 1.25 Ghz with 1GB RAM, an 80GB HD and a Superdrive. My previous computer was a piece of **** from PeoplePC which after a few hundred dollars in it had 256MB RAM, some firewire ports, and more than 12 GB, but it was a 366mhz celeron. I couldn't believe I was actually editing on it but once I finished it couldn't export crap, so when I started college at a community college to study film and was given a fee waiver and a full pell grant on top of my small 1100 scholarship I decided I should abuse the scholarship, and buy a mac that's how I got my eMac. Now I used to know my way around a PC unlike most who use them, I knew little tricks I knew the system as well as a non-programmer could but it was not easy to learn, the mac is simple it is clean everything is where it should be, most pc users get so mixed up in their files they have trouble finding their own dick. Put me on a pc now and it'll take me a few hours to remember little things, you would think I hadn't used one for four years.

Anyways so that is how and why I switched but beware your first apple product opens the door to a never-ending life as a sucker for their products.

My sister gets a U2 iPod for her birthday but the idiot who bought it somehow downloaded and erased the complete U2!!! So since her PC wasn't good enough to add music to the ipod I offered to give her my vast collection of music, that's when I first touched the iPod dear god how can there be such a thing, so beautiful, so small. So the following week my Pell Grant comes in and I guess you can figure out how that went.

So then the new eMac comes out and I admit it stung a little because for less than I paid more machine was being had, oh well...

I now have the urge to write but I hate paper and pens so I have the urge to type in the middle of the night, but I want to type in comfort so I decided it is time to get a laptop and with that I have signed up for extra summer classes in order for the government to give me the proper cash to pick up the upcoming release of the iBook and accessories. I feel the fever and it is contagious, my niece bought an iPod after me and my sister is planing on buying an eMac soon too.

P.S. Abusing the pell grant is not my fault they give me 4050 a year and enroll me in classes for free so all I need to buy is tokens for the subway and the textbooks I don't use. Only in America. :D

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
I'm another victim of the Apple bug, and a damn happy one too. :D

By order of purchase:
- Apple Pro Keyboard. Best keyboard, ever.
- 15" PowerBook, SuperDrive. Best notebook, ever.
- Apple Bluetooth Mouse. One button rocks.
- iPod mini, Silver.
- Xserve G5. Best server, ever.
- Airport Express
- iMac G5
- Two 20" Aluminum ACDs. Most beautiful monitors, ever.
- Two Blue iPod minis, 6GB and 4GB.
- Mac mini

Apple has raised my standards regarding aesthetically pleasing electronics, not just in computers. I thought my PocketPC was good when I bought it (before I had a Mac) but now I can't help but notice that it is made from cheap plastic and there is no attention to detail. The same goes for visible cabling on a workstation which I didn't mind before I had a Mac, now I can't stand it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.