Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I was wondering if an 85W power supply from a G4 Mac Mini would work with an Intel Core 2 Duo model I acquired today. Many sources I ran into claim that both 85W and 110W power supplies work with the G4, but the 85W does not with some Intel models, and many other sources claim that 85W works either all or early Mac Mini Intel models.

I have the August (Mid) 2007 version of the A1176 model, and 110W power supplies are not cheap.

Will an 85W power supply work with what I got?

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
It may work, but it may not be worth the risk.

If you mean risk as in damaging something, then that shouldn't be possible since it is only 85W, right? But if you mean risk as in wasting time and money, I understand.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You could damage the power supply, the internal charging circuits, or the any number of internal parts.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I see....

I guess I'll just try to find a power supply on eBay for cheap. Thanks, bud!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If you mean risk as in damaging something, then that shouldn't be possible since it is only 85W, right?

Data risk. What do you think happens if the CPU tries to pull more current than the supply can deliver? Voltage regulation dropouts, unpredictable CPU and/or RAM malfunctions, possible HD malfunctions, possible data loss.

Hardware risk. What do you think happens if the power supply is run at or exceeding its maximum rated output, for potentially extended periods of time? Excess heat, excess current, might even blow an internal fuse.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I was wondering if an 85W power supply from a G4 Mac Mini would work with an Intel Core 2 Duo model
No it doesn't. When I bought my Intel Mini, I just did the simple thing of connecting it to my G4 Mini's power supply and it didn't work, ie when I tried to turn the new Mini on, nothing happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.